Shure Aonic 3, Aonic 4, and Aonic 5
Oct 7, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #61 of 69
I tried the 215, 425, AONIC3 & 4 & 5 recently, and out of those 5 the AONIC3 to me is my favourite. I had no problem with fit, and listening in the store, the isolation on these also felt great. I remember I could listen to the AONIC3 while panning around and felt immersed undistracted with the sound. It's as if a music is playing while a show reel is going on. Good isolation and fit (at least to my ears). Very straightforward to insert over ear, and lightweight too

I mentioned 'immersion' as a way to measure how good these were, partly due to the fit and isolation, and partly and more largely to me due to the clear neutral and colorless sound that AONIC3 provide. The AO3 to my ears have one of the most tonally accurate mids I have heard among IEMs in this price range (and even higher). Piano sounded clear and spot on, and guitar strings sounded nice and natural without dullness or too much warmth. They sounded gentle and refined with decent resolution trying out from my phone. I'm guessing this would increase higher the better the signal fed. A3 is strongly suited to instruments playing mostly in the mids, and upper-mids area, and to a lesser extent in the lower-mids range. These are great for vocals, and previously mentioned piano and guitars. Though on the downside of sporting only 1 BA, the range or reach on the A3 isn't that great, as can be heard when listening to bass lines, and deep kick-bass or sub-woofer sound. Bass aren't their stronger suit. But if you're more of a midrange purist, these are a great delight and especially at its price. Mids are exceptional and beautiful on these, and I'm liking them even after twice demoing at the store for two hours. Consider the AONIC3 if you're after a midrange specialst. But if you'd like to have more color, bass, expansive wide soundstage then these may not be it. I'd suggest the AONIC4 for the warmer sound, being the warmest in my estimation in the lineup, secondly after it came the 425 for warmth

The AONIC4 and 425 to me have pretty similar tuning idea behind their sound. Both have a pretty good reach down low, and rather hefty punchy bass. The 425 sounded sparklier and is more prone to peakiness in the upper-mids, while the AONIC4 sound more linear and refined with more stable imaging (a bit more resolving). That said the AONIC4 have also a less exciting upper-mids in the lineup, and overall flatter, less exciting (more towards an L-shaped signature). Which may suit those sensitive to hot treble. I dislike the single DD 215 so much, that I only put on for less than 20 seconds. So can't comment too much on that. Only that it sounded blurry and too inaccurate

The AONIC5 to me brought the mids of the AONIC3, and elevated it with increased bass, soundstage size, and resolution. Unfortunately, this also brought a problem of joining the 3 BAs to perform together in harmony. I felt that the mids weren't as pure as the AONIC3, and they were more colored, warmer, and less clear or sparkly. They're also more than twice more expensive, because the A5 have more drivers. More drivers, more materials to assemble, which in turn increased cost of making. So to me the AONIC3 sounds like a good deal in Shure's lineup, considering the cost and SQ you get

taken-1633171837782.jpg
I must thank you for your post as you've prompted me to try thr Aonic 3 again. It's actually a very good IEM.

The FR is incredibly close to the Aonic 5 and my ears agree with that, which is great.

The overall soundstage width & depth isn't quite Aonic 5 levels but it's not far off, not at all.

The difference is the 1BA rather than 3BA, there's a definite improvement with 1BA in overall naturalness to the sound. The Aonic 5's although great sounding always left me nagging a bit, something was just a bit off. The Aonic 3's sound much better. So much so I'm selling 5's and keeping the 3's. Got them at a good price too.

All of my favourite IEM's have been single drivers, it's been an expensive lesson but a journey that has to be made I suppose!

Nov 7, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #62 of 69
Just received Aonic 4 to replace my very old pair of SE535's I've used for more casual listening. I'd have to say these two are very close, but my initial impression is I like Aonic 4 a fair bit more. It fixes the lack of bass on SE535's and the treble extension & soundstage is similar.

Out of the box Aonic 4 sounds slightly plastic-y without EQ, but so does SE535.

If anyone is interested in comparison between SE846, SE535, SE215 and Aonic 4, please let me know. I use these with TW2, TW1 or BT1 adapters.

Nov 8, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #63 of 69
Just received Aonic 4 to replace my very old pair of SE535's I've used for more casual listening. I'd have to say these two are very close, but my initial impression is I like Aonic 4 a fair bit more. It fixes the lack of bass on SE535's and the treble extension & soundstage is similar.

Out of the box Aonic 4 sounds slightly plastic-y without EQ, but so does SE535.

If anyone is interested in comparison between SE846, SE535, SE215 and Aonic 4, please let me know. I use these with TW2, TW1 or BT1 adapters.
I'd be interested in what the dynamic driver does to bass presentation vs. the SE846... with the SE846 being the only BA bass implementation I like so far, normally I prefer dynamic bass drivers.

Nov 8, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #65 of 69
I'd be interested in what the dynamic driver does to bass presentation vs. the SE846... with the SE846 being the only BA bass implementation I like so far, normally I prefer dynamic bass drivers.
SE846 gen1 with trish mod was paired with TW2 and equalized using Shure Play app:
1667934262557.png

Aonic 4 was paired with TW1 and equalized using my phone's EQ:
1667934151256.png

Mick Gordon - BFG Division
This song has a lot of very low sub bass.

-SE846: Sub bass extension goes lower, but not that much. Overall the amount of bass feels like there's a magnitude more of it.

-Aonic 4: Apart from that very low 20-30 Hz sub bass, everything in bass department is there. This is a huge improvement over SE215 where the bass was really one noted and overwhelming everything else. I see that these are not the right IEM's for the foundation shaking sub-bass listeners.

John Mayer - Wildfire
Thumbing kick drum and and bass line.

-SE846: Again a lot more bass. John's voice sounds more natural but the difference is not that clear.

-Aonic 4: Neutral bass but surprisingly now there is plenty of it. Extension is not as good, but still very close to SE846. Aonic 4 fares better with real instruments playing.

Norah Jones - Live at Ronnie Scotts album
Acoustic instruments including contra bass and prominent female vocals.

-SE846: Same story as the previous songs. There is plenty of good quality bass that is never overwhelming any other instruments.

-Aonic 4: No complaints from bass. Extension and separation is good, but leaner expression of it than with SE846. Other findings.... Norah's piano notes are very sharp. Almost as if you were inside her piano during the performance. Very strange. And her voice is close to you as if she was singing just next to you instead of the stage further away. This is not distracting after a while, but in back to back comparison this jumps out. Maybe there is a bump in 1-4 kHz range that needs more EQ tuning. Actually, I should try to EQ these with TW2 - there could be a lot of potential for improvement.

I had a set of Aonic 4s some time ago and their performance was underwhelming.
SE846s are better in every aspect including bass.
Overall SE846's are better in every aspect. They are the old flagship product after all. But... the cost is also ~3x in comparison. In my opinion, both IEM's are worth their price (~€900 for SE846 gen1 vs. sub €300 for Aonic 4). The overall difference between these two is not in bass (except the lowest sub bass extension, think like big 18" inch subwoofer in your room), but vocals and mid to high range frequency. Aonic 4 can play all the same sounds, but SE846 presentation and separation of instruments and vocals is totally on a different level. SE846 sounds very close to my studio monitors and Aonic 4 and all the cheaper models sound like IEM's that place all the sounds inside your head. Soundstage width is there, but there is no depth to it.

If I did not have the SE846's and could not compare them back to back, I could be perfectly happy with the cheaper Aonic 4's. My motivation to buy these was to use them during exercise or while laying on a bed ear to pillow. Due to lower profile - and of course lower price - they fit the purpose well. After listening to these for some time, I'm ready to throw my backup SE215's to trash bin. And I don't miss the SE535's either.

For critical listening that is done at home without any traffic noise or other distractions, of course my choice is the SE846.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #66 of 69
Thank you @Timo Silakka , that was much more extensive than I expected :)
I was just curious if the hybrid Aonic 4 did bass better than the SE846, but since I'm a freak for deep bass, I think that is settled now. Again, thank you for investing that much time.

Nov 8, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #67 of 69
Thank you @Timo Silakka , that was much more extensive than I expected :)
I was just curious if the hybrid Aonic 4 did bass better than the SE846, but since I'm a freak for deep bass, I think that is settled now. Again, thank you for investing that much time.
Yeah, stay with the SE846 if you already have them. By no means Aonic 4 beats SE846 in anything else than price.

I'd like to see some detailed comparisons between Aonic 5 and SE535. Some reviews say that the new model does not improve the worst aspect: the weak and thin sound profile, that is also very sibilant in female voice range. That's why I was hesitant and did not buy Aonic 5's.

Nov 9, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #68 of 69
Any of you tried the new filter for the 846?
For years been meaning to try 846 and never get around to it... that's getting to be a pretty long list at this point.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back