Shure 846 help/upgrade
Jul 27, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #16 of 30
Hi, thank you for the recommendation on the xelento I also had them in mind but they rarely ranked on the top list of the many reviews I read.

I will go to a store and there you can try all the gear from 64 audio campfire audio Empire ears and much more.

I looked at some reviews of the Ibasso it00 and they look promising. Maybe I will blindbuy a cheaper IEM set to compare them to the expensive models :)

Also I'm looking for a DAP to pair well with IEMS in general.

I got my eyes on the Fiio M11 Pro.

Do you think that's a good DAP in general or can you make a recommendation only based on a specific IEM?

Unfortunately I can't return the SE 846 so I need to sell them.

Just listened to them again and they are just meh.

Worth 300$ max IMO
I definitely think it’s a very good idea to listen to a lot of IEMs yourself, especially when buying a high-end expensive IEM, to avoid further expensive disappointments.

IMO, it’s worth it to buy a really good but much less expensive IEM. If nothing else, it’s a backup, and can serve as a reference point. Remember, price is definitely not a good indicator of the quality of an IEM, and especially not an indicator on how much you will like it.

For DAP recs, I would post on another forum, such as the Portable Source Gear forum. It would be good to match the DAP to the IEM if possible.

Regarding the se846, if the bass response isn’t good, you may not have a good seal around the nozzle. I would take a look at this thread. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/post-15763134. Especially since you can’t return them, you might as well make sure that they are working properly. What source are you using with the se846?

Thanks for the rec bro, they are also 899$ on the official campfire website and even unopened!
Oops, I didn’t realize that. I guess they are being discontinued perhaps?

Jul 27, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #17 of 30
I definitely think it’s a very good idea to listen to a lot of IEMs yourself, especially when buying a high-end expensive IEM, to avoid further expensive disappointments.

IMO, it’s worth it to buy a really good but much less expensive IEM. If nothing else, it’s a backup, and can serve as a reference point. Remember, price is definitely not a good indicator of the quality of an IEM, and especially not an indicator on how much you will like it.

For DAP recs, I would post on another forum, such as the Portable Source Gear forum. It would be good to match the DAP to the IEM if possible.

Regarding the se846, if the bass response isn’t good, you may not have a good seal around the nozzle. I would take a look at this thread. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/post-15763134. Especially since you can’t return them, you might as well make sure that they are working properly. What source are you using with the se846?

Oops, I didn’t realize that. I guess they are being discontinued perhaps?
Hi, I will look more into the cheap IEM section and yeah a backup is a great idea.

Funny enough BGGAR just released a review of the Ibasso it00 😄🙂.

I'll check the nozzles again but I was pretty sure I did it correctly and the red parts also aligned but I'll try again.

Thanks for the forum recommendation it will be useful when there is a closer choice for the high end IEM 🙂.

I will probably sell the Shure's and regarding your question, I power them with the fiio x3 and a Samsung s7.

Aug 2, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #18 of 30
I bought the SE846 years ago and had the same feeling. I highly recommend working yourself up the ladder or trying different IEMs <$300 to see what signature you like. There are cheaper IEMs that I would recommend getting first that are mentioned in this thread. Another cheaper one to look at is Thieaudio Legacy 3. Other option is going to an audio show/store and try different IEMs.

If you want that wow factor with a higher end IEM, Campfire IEMs definitely deliver that. If you want to wait a few weeks, I am getting the custom Empire Ears Legend X and I can let you know (as long as I remember to come back to this thread). If you want Legend X, from time to time, Empire Ears has 20% off sales.

Aug 3, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #19 of 30
I bought the SE846 years ago and had the same feeling. I highly recommend working yourself up the ladder or trying different IEMs <$300 to see what signature you like. There are cheaper IEMs that I would recommend getting first that are mentioned in this thread. Another cheaper one to look at is Thieaudio Legacy 3. Other option is going to an audio show/store and try different IEMs.

If you want that wow factor with a higher end IEM, Campfire IEMs definitely deliver that. If you want to wait a few weeks, I am getting the custom Empire Ears Legend X and I can let you know (as long as I remember to come back to this thread). If you want Legend X, from time to time, Empire Ears has 20% off sales.

Hi, I just ordered the thieaudio legacy 3 a couple days ago, I hope to get a good unit.

I will visit a store next week probably and try all the campfire gear.

Yeah please let me know what you think of the Legend X.

Even with the sale with the tax it would probably cost around 2000$ for me which is crazy 😅

Aug 3, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #20 of 30
Hi, I just ordered the thieaudio legacy 3 a couple days ago, I hope to get a good unit.

I will visit a store next week probably and try all the campfire gear.

Let us know what you think of the Campfire earphones and Legacy 3.

Aug 3, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #22 of 30
I think the problem is that to a large extent a lot of other IEM companies have caught up with and even surpassed the Shure 846. I bought a pair of these and sold them after a few months because they just didn’t give me the feel I wanted. They are good, but there is just more choice now and sound technology keeps moving forward.

I tried out the Campfire Solaris, and they certainly had the wow factor. I recall listening to them with my Shure 846 sitting next to me. Pumping bass and big highs is what I recall, and I think I did actually say wow. The problem for me though was that after about 10 minutes I was feeling a bit fatigued. I found them to be really full on and in your face, and although they did definitely make an impression, I thought they were too lively for me personally. Definitely worth an audition though as they may fit the bill for what you want.

You mentioned the 64 Audio U12 as a contender. After I’d tried the Solaris I then tried the 64 Audio Trio. This had everything I wanted, quality bass, smooth highs, nice layered mids and a good soundstage. I went ahead and bought them and I’ve not been disappointed. They are not the same as the U12 but they are similar’ish. There is also the new IEM from 64 Audio called the Nio which may suit you. It only recently launched though and so still commands full price. The U12 and Trio though can be picked up here for good second hand prices.

You mentioned your music tastes and possibly an IEM you would like is the Empire Ears Legend X. For genres like Hip-Hop, Dubstep, Garage, EDM and Reggae it is superb. It is known as the king of bass and I can tell you it does not disappoint. The price new is quite hefty but you can pick them up on the classifieds here every so often at a good used price. That is how I got mine.

Anyway, I hope that is of some use to you.
Hi, I have a question. How do you compare the Tia trio with the Legend X?

How big is the bass difference?

Thank you

Aug 6, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #23 of 30
Hi guys, I just received the package from Linsoul.

It was surprisingly fast shipping just 1 week!

I ordered a legacy 3 and 2 blon 03s.

Just tried out the Legacy and one of the blons and i have to say I like the blons better.

The legacy's are good to but not as much fun as the blons.

Just need an upgrade cable to make the blons even better.

I don't know what it is about the blons but they are just so much fun to listen to.

Is it the 'tuning' everyone is talking about?

I would love an IEM which is like the blon 03 but even better in all areas.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Aug 6, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #24 of 30
Hi, I have a question. How do you compare the Tia trio with the Legend X?

How big is the bass difference?

Thank you
I’m not that good at describing sound, but I would say that the trio is more balanced and a little more detailed. But I’m not talking much. The treble on the Trio is a little brighter while the LX remains smooth. The Trio has very good bass and can hold its own, but the LX is the bass king. For some people the bass on the LX can be a bit much, but I feel it depends on the person and what they want from their IEM.

Aug 6, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #25 of 30
I’m not that good at describing sound, but I would say that the trio is more balanced and a little more detailed. But I’m not talking much. The treble on the Trio is a little brighter while the LX remains smooth. The Trio has very good bass and can hold its own, but the LX is the bass king. For some people the bass on the LX can be a bit much, but I feel it depends on the person and what they want from their IEM.
Haha I'm not good at describing sound either.

Thanks for the comparison.

Do you own the Blon03's?

Aug 6, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #26 of 30
Haha I'm not good at describing sound either.

Thanks for the comparison.

Do you own the Blon03's?
No, I don’t have those. I have four; Trio, Legend X, JH Billie Jean and Bose Triport IE.

Aug 6, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #27 of 30
Hi guys, I just received the package from Linsoul.

It was surprisingly fast shipping just 1 week!

I ordered a legacy 3 and 2 blon 03s.

Just tried out the Legacy and one of the blons and i have to say I like the blons better.

The legacy's are good to but not as much fun as the blons.

Just need an upgrade cable to make the blons even better.

I don't know what it is about the blons but they are just so much fun to listen to.

Is it the 'tuning' everyone is talking about?

I would love an IEM which is like the blon 03 but even better in all areas.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
It’s the tuning and natural sound of the BL03s that is so euphonic. It is a lot of instant fun! The main criticisms are fit, cable, too much mid bass making it a bit muddy sounding, and only okay technicalities.

The tuning of the L3 is very similar to the BL03, but with less quantity but more detailed bass. One very important thing to note is that the L3 is VERY sensitive to ear tips, and the stock ear tips do not sound that good to most people. The favorite ear tips are the Sedna Earfit Light tips (I like the short version), JVC Spiral Dots, and I like the ePro horn-shapes tips. You should look thru the Legacy 3 thread.

Aug 6, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #28 of 30
It’s the tuning and natural sound of the BL03s that is so euphonic. It is a lot of instant fun! The main criticisms are fit, cable, too much mid bass making it a bit muddy sounding, and only okay technicalities.

The tuning of the L3 is very similar to the BL03, but with less quantity but more detailed bass. One very important thing to note is that the L3 is VERY sensitive to ear tips, and the stock ear tips do not sound that good to most people. The favorite ear tips are the Sedna Earfit Light tips (I like the short version), JVC Spiral Dots, and I like the ePro horn-shapes tips. You should look thru the Legacy 3 thread.
Guess I need to buy new tips now 😅.

Only got the ones that came with the blons and L3's and the shure tips which won't fit.

Aug 6, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #29 of 30
Guess I need to buy new tips now 😅.

Only got the ones that came with the blons and L3's and the shure tips which won't fit.
My recommendation for both the BL03 and L3 is the Sedna Earfit Light. Get the regular length tips, as it helps extend the short nozzle of the BL03. I prefer the short tips for the L3, but the regular length work fine also. I recommend measuring the width of your favorite ear tip size, then order the appropriate Sedna size according to their diagram. The Sedna tips are available in 6 different sizes.

Aug 7, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #30 of 30
My recommendation for both the BL03 and L3 is the Sedna Earfit Light. Get the regular length tips, as it helps extend the short nozzle of the BL03. I prefer the short tips for the L3, but the regular length work fine also. I recommend measuring the width of your favorite ear tip size, then order the appropriate Sedna size according to their diagram. The Sedna tips are available in 6 different sizes.
Thank you. I found them on ebay 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back