Shure 840s: my ideal setup on a budget.
Oct 27, 2011 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mtbfan101

New Head-Fier
Hey everybody,

So I finally pulled the trigger on buying a pair of Shure 840s. Why? I found that I liked them more than all the Grado's I listened to, including the 325i(perhaps I'm crazy?). Also, I was able to pick them up for $105 bucks new in the box on amazon! Anyways, I was pleasantly surprised to hear how well a simple ipod could drive these things when I demoed them; however, I hear, like most headphones, that they reach their potential when amped. So here was what I was thinking for a setup on a budget:

1)udac by Nuforce Icon to use as a desktop dac/amp.
2)Either a BSG or JDS CMOY to power the shure 840s while I'm on the go. If these aren't worth it, I might step up to a mini3 or a necosoundlab CMOY, as these tended to do well in the ratings.

Having both of these items would probably run $200 dollars+. My question, however, is this, is there a set up that is portable and includes a better sound card than my computer? That way it can function as both portable and desktop. Also, if such an item exist, how much would it cost? Less than 200? Finally, is my initial idea as a "setup" logical? I'm new to the headphone world and all of its intricacies, so please don't throw me to the lions on this one
tongue.gif

Thanks a lot,

Pat

Oct 27, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #3 of 9
 Fiio E7. Also check out some of the iBasso stuff. Or even Pico, headamp.

Oct 27, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 9
Nuforce uDac 2 ~ carry it everywhere, all it needs is a USB port to power it

Oct 27, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #5 of 9
E7/E9 combo?
maybe?
your e7 is your portable + dac and then you e9 offers some extra juice for home listening and when/if you ever purchase more cans
basshead.gif

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #9 of 9
4th for the e7/e9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back