Shure 750dj +e7 amp or e7+e9 combo?
Nov 12, 2011 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ying

Head-Fier
Hi 

I am new to this forum, I just got my shure 750dj a day ago, and i knew already that i would need an amp to power the big 50mm drivers they have on the 750dj. I was planning just to get the fiio e7 dac/amp to power the 750dj on my computer and phone. But from what i heard from some post that the e7 don't have enough power to fully power the 750dj? It seems like they said the bass was a bit lacking etc..  If that is the case does anyone know if i buy the e7+e9 combo, will that have enough power to power the 750dj, since the e7 will then act as the dac, and the e9 will act as the amp. Or is the e9 itself powerful enough??  From what i know is that the e7+e9 are the killer combo and for it's price range it would be amazing if i can run my 750dj on them. 

Any suggestion would be nice

Thanks 

Nov 13, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 6

Quote:
Hi 

I am new to this forum, I just got my shure 750dj a day ago, and i knew already that i would need an amp to power the big 50mm drivers they have on the 750dj. I was planning just to get the fiio e7 dac/amp to power the 750dj on my computer and phone. But from what i heard from some post that the e7 don't have enough power to fully power the 750dj? It seems like they said the bass was a bit lacking etc..  If that is the case does anyone know if i buy the e7+e9 combo, will that have enough power to power the 750dj, since the e7 will then act as the dac, and the e9 will act as the amp. Or is the e9 itself powerful enough??  From what i know is that the e7+e9 are the killer combo and for it's price range it would be amazing if i can run my 750dj on them. 

Any suggestion would be nice

Thanks 

750DJ runs well even unamped; however the DAC from the E7 will drastically clean up the sound (boosting the soundstage, imaging, and most likely bass response), while the E9 amp will boost the quality of the mids and highs mostly. It'll be a huge improvement if your 750DJ will be your stay-home listening cans by the computer.

Nov 14, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 6
You don't need the E9. I use my SRH750 with an E7 and it works great, I never go over8/60. People love to exaggerate how much you need a nuclear plant to power anything properly, and if you don't have this or that amp, you're not truly enjoying your headphones. I'm not saying the E9+E7 combo isn't good (in fact I'm not saying anything about the E9, since I never had the pleasure of trying it), I'm just saying you don't need anything more powerful than the E7 to drive the SRH750 to ear-piercing levels. However, since everyone says it's such a great budget combo, if you plan on ever getting anything more power-hungry, it might be worth it. There are usually some great deals if you buy them together.

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
You don't need the E9. I use my SRH750 with an E7 and it works great, I never go over8/60. People love to exaggerate how much you need a nuclear plant to power anything properly, and if you don't have this or that amp, you're not truly enjoying your headphones. I'm not saying the E9+E7 combo isn't good (in fact I'm not saying anything about the E9, since I never had the pleasure of trying it), I'm just saying you don't need anything more powerful than the E7 to drive the SRH750 to ear-piercing levels. However, since everyone says it's such a great budget combo, if you plan on ever getting anything more power-hungry, it might be worth it. There are usually some great deals if you buy them together.

Amps in headphone world aren't usually for the purpose of increasing volume (unless it's 500 ohm cans). They usually act on the sound quality of them instead, e.g. boosting transparency of sound, tightening the bass, adding warmth to mids, flattening out piercing highs, etc. E9 is a great complement to the E7 (which has a cold signature alone).

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #6 of 6
Funny you should say that, almost every review I read said it was a warm amp. Of course the coloration added by any amp will be minimal when compared to the coloration the SRH750 already has, and you need an amp you know to be neutral to be able to compare and say the E7 is warm or cold. I myself can't say much since the E7 is the only external amp I own, but I don't think it's cold. I'll wait for my O2 amp and then compare =D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back