Shure 440
Nov 14, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 10
It isn't huge if that's what you're looking for. It varies from song to song. Sometimes it seems a little shy and in the background, other times it's fuller and more forward. Extension isn't terribly great, it starts rolling off at about 40 Hz. When it does come out it has a decent amount of slam/impact though.

Nov 14, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #3 of 10
I have used them before, they are pretty balanced. Bass amount is decent. (not boomy)

Dec 13, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 10
Get the 840 pads, they seem awkward and shallow, plus i think my ears are actually hitting the cups at times with these small pads. The isolation should also be better with those pads

Dec 13, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Get the 840 pads, they seem awkward and shallow, plus i think my ears are actually hitting the cups at times with these small pads. The isolation should also be better with those pads

+ soundstage. 

Dec 13, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #7 of 10
i am owning a pair of srh440, after 1/2 a year still kicking and going. The bass of this headphone is the "background" style, it does not punch you in ur face but u can feel that it is giving your ear a massage when u listen to bassy songs. Do not be deceive by its's 44 ohm impedence and assume this headphone are good already when connected without an amp. the headphone are a total different animal when u put an amp into the cycle. After amping you can get the rumbling bass going, it does not excel in low bass frequency like 10~40Hz but it hide its downside with punchy and clear beating bass beat in the music while still remaining the clarity to the vocal and highs.

i personally feel that its big bro Srh840 is too bass heavy (with or without an amping), when the bass beat really hard in the music, you will somehow lost you focus on the vocal and listen to the bass beats...i am a vocal lover, this phone allows me to "monitor" the vocal in the music while remain the presentation of highs and lows in an adequate quantity in such way that when i'm bored with vocals and wanna start some head banging, i can focus to the bass easily. the way srh440 sound is very different from Audiophile headphone, i own a FA-003 myself and i can definitely put 003 into my "audiophile headphone" bin while srh440 in my "monitoring" bin. so, what are the difference. comparing to fa003, srh440 will let you hear more of your setup, the benefit of changing the interconnector from copper to Silver plated copper are way more noticeable on srh440 than on fa003 as an example.

yes, Srh440 is not a bass oriented headphone (M50 is !) it will gives you more vocal clarity than bass quantity. it is a good tools for you to really listen to every ounce of detail in your music. It has a small soundstage comparing to fa-003....but don't know why, my urge of upgrading disappeared after buying this headphone. I wish you can listen to the headphone before you buy and experience the shure's signature vocal clarity

Dec 13, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #8 of 10
I'm going to disagree a bit with the above post and say that the Shure SRH440 doesn't need an amp. It's about as power hungry as the Sony MDR-V6 which is commonly suggested as a solid portable without an amp. The SRH440 has an overdamped bass and bass roll-off starting at about 70hz which means it'll have less impactful bass and also less bass quantity compared to other headphones. I would expect above average clarity from the Shure. 

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #9 of 10
when you don't put it with an amp, you will hear clarity . but when you amp it you can hear Bigger soundstage + bass + clarity. try amping it, it does gives you a big difference.

about the bass dampening, i solve this with my Silver Plated Copper interconnector to my amp which gives a clearer bass presentation and bigger soundstage. keep the amp aside, some EQ will be beneficial. personally i do not think the frequency response graph tell you everything, it is more bassy than my fa003...which do not have the rolloff at low frequency. it is the intimate soundstage and the sound tuning that make the bass more noticeable on srh440. 

Dec 14, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #10 of 10
i also bought a fiio e5 as an amp cause i would like the extra bass for the hip hop songs, cant wait should be a big improvement on my JVC HA-RX300 haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back