Shure 425 or 535?
Jan 21, 2014 at 8:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

lilbwu

New Head-Fier
I've been researching but I still can't decide between the 425 or 535s. I listen to only electronic music such as trance, house, and trap. I used to own the Sennheisser IE8i but those broke on me so I am looking to buy a new pair of IEMs. 

Jul 24, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #2 of 5
I have the Shure SE420 and SE535Ltd Red. The SE420s sound flatter and more accurate / analytical which may suit some tastes in listening. The 535s are more fun and engaging. I have read the 425 is very similar to the 420 in terms of sound. Hope this helps somewhat.

Nov 4, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 5
I purchased the 425 for playing live through the Behringer P16 based on them being popular and having good reviews. I wanted something better than the 215's and the 300 series didn't seem to be much better.

I initially did it like them as I was used to my Bose and felt they sounded too flat sounding. I was told by some people that is why people like them. By being flat you hear everything better just like studio monitor's.

For live I found them to be great. I really did hear everything clearly and I like the highs and mids lot while the bass was a little light. Thankfully there is an EQ on the P16 0 to add more bass. So for live use, I highly recommend them.

After getting used to them I decided for just playing music through my LG V30 phone they were too flat. The bass boost on my phone helped but the flat sound is not enjoyable for just playing music.

Every one seems to be saying the 535 are better for listening to music and the term more fun is used. As they reduced the price by $100 since Shure us coming out with wireless (which I don't want), I am thinking the 535 'should might be a good option for playing music. Do you think I would be happy with them for that purpose.

Nov 4, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 5
I purchased the 425 for playing live through the Behringer P16 based on them being popular and having good reviews. I wanted something better than the 215's and the 300 series didn't seem to be much better.

I initially did it like them as I was used to my Bose and felt they sounded too flat sounding. I was told by some people that is why people like them. By being flat you hear everything better just like studio monitor's.

For live I found them to be great. I really did hear everything clearly and I like the highs and mids lot while the bass was a little light. Thankfully there is an EQ on the P16 0 to add more bass. So for live use, I highly recommend them.

After getting used to them I decided for just playing music through my LG V30 phone they were too flat. The bass boost on my phone helped but the flat sound is not enjoyable for just playing music.

Every one seems to be saying the 535 are better for listening to music and the term more fun is used. As they reduced the price by $100 since Shure us coming out with wireless (which I don't want), I am thinking the 535 'should might be a good option for playing music. Do you think I would be happy with them for that purpose.
I'm not certain you're using "flat" correctly, but it might just be my interpretation.

Flat generally refers to sound curve, as to whether bass or treble is emphasized or under-emphasized, and a flat curve means it's perfectly level across the board, from bass to treble. Ideally, if this were the case, you'd only need to boost bass if you wanted bass to have more emphasis than the rest of the spectrum.

That seems unnecessary for a good number of music genres.

While it may sound neutral, I doubt it's actually flat. Usually, there's a slight v-curve, or bump in the bass or mids. As to which you prefer is largely up to genre preference. A v-curve would probably suit your tastes better for electronic, but if vocals are in the mix, the 535's bring the vocals forward in presentation, and can really make them shine. Deciding between models and sound signatures is a lot more than just frequency response. It's also distance from stage, sound stage, arrangement, etc. I listen to a lot of rock and vocals, so I like forward vocals. Maybe a person who listens to classical would prefer a less intimate sound stage.

Nov 5, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 5
OK they sound neutral which is not fun to listen to. It is better for more analytical listening. If the 535 offer mids that are more forward not sure if that is what I am looking for. Just looking for what you hear out of a decent stereo that is not over hyped like my Bose in ears

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back