Shunt Potentiometer : Help needed
Sep 17, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 14
both option 1 and 2 would work, but option-1 will give reversed rotation ( turn knob clock-wise --> sound level gets lower).

go "blue-ink" .

34k input resistor value is a bit high. The volume pot in 002 is 10k, I like to do 50~70% pot value for input resistor value (so loudness at 12 o'clock is about the same as a normal pot).

Sep 18, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 14
huh, I somehow just didn't see the 252 part, kept thinking 002. sorry.

I am re-testing input shunt resisters, this time in modded srm-313's, using ESP950 and sr007 as test phones. The differences among different input resistors are much more obvious than last time (which was done a long time ago, using modded srm-212 driving sr303). My previous conclusions still hold, but this time I am also trying vishay VAR in the mix and I feel it really is worth the extra $. It gives very wide stage and smooth warm sound (stock 313 is closed-in with obvious "mid-range burn"), no glare, strong bass.
which makes me rethink the resistor choices I made in various amps (kgss, 727, 007t).

If VAR price (per resistor) is no more than $10 over your current choice, I'd recommend going VAR. It will be well worth the extra $20.

Sep 18, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 14
s102k is rather warm and smooth, not metallic. To soften the sound it is a good choice. But the sound stage is kind of narrow. VAR sound stage is much much wider.

Since you can readily hear the difference, I'd recommend adding a pair of header blocks so you can test various resistors quickly and form your own opinions.

IMG_0353 c.jpg

otherwise.... just get Vishay Z foil (VAR, VSM). Clean, full, wide stage, warm, smooth, glare-free. You will have zero regrets going z foil. See if you can find 15k~36k and try them in your 252. These are precision resistor intended for scientific instruments, there must be a supplier in your area that carries them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back