shuffle 2G
Dec 7, 2008 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mortonjl

500+ Head-Fier
Question: I have been in the process of changing all my iTunes files to lossless as I want that sound quality. So, I have been looking at a shuffle 2G for gym use and want to know if it will support apple lossless or not before I buy one? Thanks.

Edit: If it will not support apple lossless, will a Sansa Clip work? Keep in mind I have a MacBook and iTunes with some purchased music and some burned lossless music. Thanks again.

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Clip is a much better and cheaper option, but you will have to convert your ALAC to FLAC.

This can be done on a Mac? It doesn't show on Sansa website that it supports Mac systems, only windows.

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mortonjl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This can be done on a Mac? It doesn't show on Sansa website that it supports Mac systems, only windows.

You can use drag and drop, and to convert ALAC to FLAC, you can use Max.

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by cardude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The shuffle will support lossless, you will just get fewer tunes on it. I've been using a 1gb shuffle, and it works fine.

weird, according to the apple website the shuffle is the only ipod that doesn't support lossless.

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #7 of 11
Well, most of my songs are in lossless, and I use the random song download feature to fill it. Maybe they're not downloading in lossless format? If that is the case, sorry for answering without knowing for sure. I just assumed.
biggrin.gif
Oops. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by cardude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The shuffle will support lossless, you will just get fewer tunes on it. I've been using a 1gb shuffle, and it works fine.

from apple website:
Audio formats supported: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), WAV, and AIFF

Dec 10, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #10 of 11
I think when the shuffle autofills it transcodes the music from Lossless to the other format of your choice. The fill speed depends on the bitrate.

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #11 of 11
For iPod shuffles, iTunes can automatically transcode high-bitrate tracks (presumably including ALAC) to 128kbps AAC during transfer. I doubt that you need lossless quality for gym use, plus the output of the 2G shuffle is not as clean as other iPods (quite noisy).

And no, the shuffles don't support ALAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back