Shpongle
Feb 18, 2004 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Cptn.Nugs

New Head-Fier
Does anyone listen to Shpongle? It is simply the best music I have ever heard. If you haven't heard of them I recommend giving them a try. You won't be disappointed!

Feb 18, 2004 at 9:40 AM Post #2 of 9
I recommended Shpongle in the "Comparable to Pink Floyd?" Thread. Even though I wouldn't rank them as "best I have ever heard", Shpongle still is very, very worth checking out, no matter what your musical preferences might be. Tales of the Inexpressible has it all. A lot of new, experimental ideas, great atmosphere, catchy melodies, exotic soundscapes and a very unique sound. If we would still be living in the seventies, Tales of the Inexpressible could have became a world wide chart hit. Now it's only a cult album among the acidheads
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 9
Tales of the inexpressible is an excellent album, as is "are you shpongled" I can't say I could class them anywhere near Pink Floyd, however, firstly there are very few lyrics and that underpinning Shpongle bass dirge gets a bit repetitive after a while......... nope, they're nothing like Floyd whatsoever.

Pinkie

Feb 20, 2004 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 9
I have Are You Shpongled and it is truly great on headphones. Are Shpongle discs expensive everywhere or just in Canada? HMV wants something like $35 for Tales of the Inexpressable. Are You Shpongled was expensive as well, but not THAT expensive.

Feb 20, 2004 at 9:48 PM Post #5 of 9
Are You Shpongled is one of my favorite albums. Really need to buy it sometime. ^_^

And if you like Shphongle, check out Hallucinogen's albums, especially Lone Deranger too (same guy under different pseudonyms, I believe - more trancy than Shpongle).

Feb 21, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #6 of 9
I listen to Shpongle. The kind of space they explore at times reminds me of Pink Floyd. More often, however, the instrumentation reminds me of Cipher. The music of Ciper, however, is a more serious artistic endeavor than is the music of Shpongle. But I love Shpongle's sonic palette, and their sonic spaces and "lighting". It's a real treat just to listen to how they use sound (play with sound?). I also enjoy their sense of humor. They're a little like a psychedelic Propellerheads along that dimension. I've managed to procure "Are You Shpongled?" Haven't been able to find "Tales of the Inexpressible" ... yet, but its inevitable. Having been Shpongled, how can I not hear their expressions of the inexpressible?

Feb 24, 2004 at 5:48 AM Post #9 of 9
AAHHH.....Shpongle.

Immense joy comes to mind when i think of how many times i've drifted away to this CD. Simon Posford is a genius.

I just picked up The Infinity Project : "Mystical Experiences". Originally released in 1994 and digitally remasted now. Superb. This is Shpongle before Shpongle came into existence. Simon Posford and Raja Ram's very first album.

it's a classic. sounds much better than a great deal of electronica out today.

also check out these acts : Aes Dana, Blue Moon Station, Dub Trees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back