Shozy Zero Review - Decently value for a mildly-warm IEM
Aug 25, 2016 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Cinder

Formerly known as Res-Reviews

-Introduction-​

Edit: It's been brought to my attention by the Shozy team that the Sound Blaster E3 does not play nicely with the Zero. I will be re-evaluating it paired from different devices per Shozy's request.
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]In the audiophile world, it’s not uncommon to see products promise to deliver great things, often at prices that undercut their competitors. The community loves to take these claims and run with them, often generating hype trains that blow these promises even further out of proportion, leading inevitably to disappointment when the product is delivered. Unfortunately, the Shozy Zero is one such product. While it’s not bad by any means, the Zero (to my humble ears) does not live up to the hype it’s gotten from many a forum on the internet. At $60, the Shozy Zero is already a good value. But in an already-crowded price segment of high price:performance IEMs, does it stand out?[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The Shozy Zero is available on Penon Audio here for $60.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The Shozy Zero is available on Amazon here for $60.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Find the official Shozy Zero web-page here.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Disclaimer: This review is based upon a sample unit provided to me by a manufacturer in exchange for my honest opinion and un-edited words. I do not profit in any way from the writing of the review. I would like to thank Wong at Shozy for providing me with this unit.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Preference and Bias: Before reading a review, it is worth mentioning that there is no way for a reviewer to objectively pass judgment on the enjoy-ability of a product: such a thing is inherently subjective. Therefore, I find it necessary for you to read and understand what I take a natural liking to and how that might affect my rating of a product.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]My ideal sound signature would be an extended sub-bass with a leveled, but textured, bass. The mids should be slightly less pronounced than the treble, but still ahead of the bass. I prefer a more bright upper range.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Source: [/color]The Zero was powered off of a Nexus 6P -> Creative Sound Blaster E3. All music was served as FLAC, ALAC, or as 320Kbps Mp3. I found the standard DAC/Amp inside my phone and PC to be adequate to drive the Zero at near-peak levels of quality, but used the Sound Blaster E3 for consistency's sake. Per Shozy's request, I am double-checking all of my claims against a Nexus 6P and HTC One M8 to ensure I was not making judgments based on a bad pairing.
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The Zero does sound significantly better on my M8 than it does on the Nesux 6P or Sound Blaster E3. [/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]
                Tech Specs​
[/color]

1. Driver: Dynamic​
  2. Sensitivity(at 1Khz) :94db​
  3. Frequency response :20hz-18khz​
  4. Input connector :3.5mm/1/8 inch gold-plated stereo TRS plug​
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The above specs were taken directly from the Zero’s page on Penon Audio.[/color]

-Sound Signature-
[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Initial Impressions: These impressions were taken before I’d seen any FR response graphs or measurements. Impressions are taken off of random songs in my music library.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The Zero has pretty good left/right separation. It’s definitely warm leaning, and took some time to adjust to. The mids seem slightly veiled, but seem less so as my brain burns in. Bass is fast and precise, but isn’t deep and rumbly or boomy. Treble pushes through the mix well.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Treble: Songs used: White FlagMidnight CityOutlands[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Treble is toned nicely in White Flag, but isn’t the focus of the song. Some vocal effects can sound slightly metallic, but not significantly enough for me to notice the majority of the time. Accuracy and detail is pretty good, but not perfect.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Midnight City’s electric treble was placed well in front of the song, and had a clear and cutting presentation, without sounding harsh or piercing.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The violins of Outlands were presented well, but had a certain softness to them.Pairing the Zero with my 6P and M8 brought out the transparency that I look for in classical songs, and helped solidify the edges of the violins that I was looking for. The symphonic presentation that I was looking for is now more present.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Mids: Songs used: Flagpole SittaJacked UpI Am The Highway[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]While I found the vocals of Flagpole Sitta to be rather immune to the muggy coloring of the mids, the guitars and background vocals tended to get caught up in the warm tuning of the Zero. While it doesn’t compromise the sound, it does at a flavoring to it that not all listeners will appreciate.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Jacked Up’s pianos were resolved fairly well, but didn’t have super clean edges to them. The guitars, piano, and vocals never mixed together or smudged, which is a plus. There is a lot of detail present, and the general timbre of the mids is pleasant and effortless. The Zero does a particularly good job at resolving guitars of both the acoustic and electric type.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]I Am The Highway’s vocals were placed forward and center, making them easily take control of the song, and stay in control. The guitars had a very good attack and decay to them, lending the Zeros a very precise feeling. Upper mids are rather well presented, and sounded full-bodied.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Bass[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]: [/color]Songs usedLightsGold Dust99 Problems (Hugo Cover)Leave Me[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]This section has been edited. All new or changed parts will be in red text.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The Zero sounds like it tuned for optimal performance in songs such as Lights. The mid and sub-bass are present, but importantly, shaped. The bass sounds organic, but is not emphasized too much. This lends the song depth and makes for a pleasant listen.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Gold Dust is one of the two songs I use to determine how well the Zero performs on the majority of bass-heavy genres such as Dubstep. Once pairing with my HTC One M8, it was easy to see that the team at Shozy did not abandon us electronic music listeners. Sub-bass response is good, shaped, and clean. Believe it or not, it's a night and day difference compared to the bass response on the Sound Blaster E3.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]99 Problems [/color]sounded good, and had a decent amount of depth to it. The more organic and deep bass presentation of the Zero paired with my M8 significantly helps the drums have an impact and body to them, something I really was not expecting considering my initial experiences with the Zero.
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The bass-laden intro to Leave Me was rather sonorous and had a good amount of depth to it. The presentation and poise of the song is good, and doesn’t have the “disconnected” feeling to it that I got from my previous test tracks. Even when powered off my M8, I still find myself wishing for a little more sub-bass presence in Leave Me. The bass drops still sound a little too shallow for me to get really into it.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Clarity: Songs used: ThroneMap of The ProblimatiqueI’m Not Alright[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Clarity is one of the Zero’s strong points, and this is especially evident in Throne and I’m Not Alright. Many of the ambient and background sound effects were present and resolved completely, and there was no notable distortion during the chorus. Instrumental separation is on point.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Sound Stage[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The Zero’s sound stage is intimate, but not cloistering. It makes for a rather immersive, but not symphonic, experience. Left/right separation is very good during hard-panning. It could use a more air in the sound-stage. I would say the Zero performs right at its price point in terms of staging.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Comparisons[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Zero v.s Thinksound Rain2 ($90)[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The Zero is strikingly similar to the Rain2 appearance-wise, but falls short of it in terms of overall musical presentation. While the Rain2 is much warmer, it is just as precise and excels in mid and sub-bass reproduction. It’s got some softened mid reproduction, but lacks the fuzziness of the Zero. All said and done, I think the Rain2 is well worth the $30 over the Zero. The same holds true, even when comparing the two off my M8.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Zero v.s Rock Jaw Alfa Genus V.2 ($60)[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The Zero and Alfa Genus V.2 have strikingly similar sound signatures. The Zero has a warmer, but less boomy bass and is quicker, while the Alfa Genus V.2 provides more bass quantity. I’ll still have to give the Alfa Genus V.2 the win considering it’s durable cable, inline controls, and tuning-filter system.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Zero v.s Hidizs EX-01 ($40)[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The Zero’s bass is less emphasized than the EX-01, but is significantly more accurate and quick. The Zero is warmer, but at the same time is also brighter than the EX-01. Bassheads should go for the EX-01, while listeners looking for a more versatile IEM should head for the Zero. In terms of build quality, I’d take the Zero any day. The EX-01’s chromed plastic looks and feels cheap in comparison. I'd say the Zero takes this one.[/color]

-Packaging / Unboxing-
[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The Zero has a very basic unboxing experience. Inside the box you will find the case, with the Zero and extra eartips inside it.[/color]

-Build-
[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Construction Quality[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Exterior construction of the Zero is very well done. The driver housings are made from rosewood, and the cable is malleable, yet not too thin. It doesn’t tangle too easily, and is smooth enough to not catch on random surfaces. While it doesn’t appear to be too safe from impacts, the Zero doesn’t feel fragile at all. The cable terminates in a straight 3.5mm jack. I wish it would have terminated at 45 or 90 degrees.[/color]
[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Some users are reporting large amounts of driver-flex (pressure build-up between you ear canal and the driver), which can lead to a damage driver over time. While I have not been able to detect any large amounts of driver flex, it is possible that others with different ear anatomy are legitimately experiencing it. Food for thought.[/color]
[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Comfort[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The Zero is fairly comfortable, fits very well into my ears, and seals easily. While it doesn’t include any comply, I find the standard silicone ear tips to be adequate.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Controls[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The Zero does not feature inline controls.[/color]

-Accessories-
[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Shozy stocked the Zero with a rather bland set of accessories: one carrying case, and two extra pairs of silicone eartips. While it’s not bad, it certainly isn’t exceptional.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The case is, however, rather nice. It’s a little large for my tastes, but is certainly designed well. You’ll have no problem fitting the Zero into it, and should expect a good amount of shock and impact protection. One side of the case has a net, which is handy if you tend to keep other accessories with your earphones during your travels.[/color]
[/color]

-Summary-
[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The Shozy Zero is a mildly-warm IEM with solid bass impact. It's a great all-arounder that performs very well for the money. With an organic rosewood build, protective carrying case, and attractive cable, the Zero is certainly worth considering for $60. While it certainly doesn't beat more expensive IEMs, it's solidified it's place in my top five earphones under $100.[/color]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back