Shows you would die if cancelled.
Jul 17, 2003 at 5:17 PM Post #31 of 48
As far as I'm concerned, the Simpsons were cancelled about six years ago when it became exactly what Jerry Seinfeld didn't want his show to become.

The Shield is a great show -- I'm a little surprised nobody mentioned it! Great two seasons... Sopranos is good too.

Jul 17, 2003 at 5:20 PM Post #32 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
As far as I'm concerned, the Simpsons were cancelled about six years ago when it became exactly what Jerry Seinfeld didn't want his show to become.

[size=medium]BLASPHEMY!![/size]

Jul 17, 2003 at 5:23 PM Post #33 of 48
Emeril Live, that's about the only show I ever watch anymore (besides the news and the tonight show). But TV is not worth dying for, geeze!

Jul 17, 2003 at 5:48 PM Post #34 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Squalish
[size=medium]BLASPHEMY!![/size]

blas for me, blas for you, blas for everybody... sorry, quick eddie izzard quote there.

but yeah the simpsons....

watch a new simpsons episode, then something from one of the earlier seasons, and tell me which ones are better.

the newer ones are just too gimmicky, i have season 1 and 2 on dvd and i cant get enough of these episodes.

Jul 17, 2003 at 11:13 PM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

White Dwarf. The same guy who wrote Wild Palms wrote this as well. It was a pilot that was never picked up. White Dwarf is actually a re-make of Akira Kurosawa's classic film "Red Beard".

YES !

THAT IS THE SHOW !

never had a damn chance to shake out and what p[isses me off is i still have these questions unanswered

maybe a book ?

hell even a cartoon but just gimme the damn answers

Jul 18, 2003 at 12:34 AM Post #37 of 48
The Simpsons are still excellent and I hope they stay on TV. They made something of a comeback in season 14.

The Sopranos are one hell of a fantastic show, in my opinion, but I hope they only stay on the air as long as they can keep their artistic integrity. From what I've heard, season 4 was supposed to be it and they stretched it to 5 because of viewer demand. I don't want the show to be watered down just to keep it going.

Jul 18, 2003 at 12:38 AM Post #38 of 48
Yeah, even the writers of The Simpsons know it sucks.
wink.gif

But thank you for mentioning Glick.. that show is great. He is the best interviewer.. I think that's the only show where I actually look FORWARD to the guests.
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2003 at 3:48 AM Post #39 of 48
I think the Simpsons is still the most consistently funny show on TV. I saw Most Extreme Elimination Challenge for the first time last week-I laughed so hard my chest hurt. This might become my new favorite show. I also like Trigger Happy.

24 and Sopranos are my favorite dramas.

Jul 18, 2003 at 3:54 AM Post #40 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
Don't mean to disappoint you, but that show is so old. I remember watching the exact same one 10 years ago. Similarly, Dragon Ball Z ended 10 years in Asian country.
smily_headphones1.gif

rolleyes.gif

no, I know it's ancient, I just don't want them to stop showing it, and I was watching DBZ and calling it that over 7 years ago with my cousins!, so...HA!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
, I win

Jul 18, 2003 at 3:32 PM Post #41 of 48
My ex took the nicer TV and the DSS dish/receiver (along with my dog, washer and dryer, my credit score and my dignity)--this was summer of 99. I kept debating whether to get digital cable or DSS for the next four years and kept thinking, "I'm never home to watch it anyway.... and when I am home, I'd rather watch a DVD, play a video game or listen to a CD." I didn't have over-the-air reception worth mentioning and the only TV I watched during this time was when I was at friend's house.

Last month I got a Hughes DirecTivo box and a cheap DLP projector, then upgraded the hard drive capacity of the Tivo to 243 hours.

So now I'm on this "sampling" TV phase, trying to figure out what I like and don't like so I'm somewhat open to suggestions--as long as it's not idiotic sitcoms or reality-tv.
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's what I've found that I like so far:
1. South Park
2. Enterprise
3. Spider-Man (MTV)
4. Simpsons
5. Smallville
6. Ren & Stimpy Adult (TNN)
7. Dead Like Me (Showtime)
8. CSI
9. CSI: Miami
10. Without a Trace
11. King of the Hill

I keep the latest of this show recorded but don't always watch it:
Special Report with Brit Hume (Fox News)

I'm looking for a jumping on point with Sex & the City and trying to record all of Sopranos to watch from the beginning.

I try to catch shows like these whenever I can:
Beyond Bizarre
FBI Files
In Search Of

And I keep two episodes of these old shows that have re-runs on Tivo to watch whenever I want:
Batman/Superman
The Critic
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Dilbert
Family Guy
Futurama
Justice League
Incredible Hulk (Animated)
Incredible Hulk (live action)
Ren & Stimpy
Spider-Man
Star Trek: Next Generation
X-Men

So to answer the original question, I can obviously live without TV just fine but this is the stuff I like so far. I'm sure I've missed a lot in the last 4 years.

Jul 28, 2003 at 1:15 AM Post #44 of 48
With shows like "Action" (two episodes, or something like that?), Max Headroom, Farscape, and Sports Night, I have long since gotten over suicidal tendencies as a result of good shows being cancelled.

If this current trend of "reality" TV (oh, please) and things like game shows on eMpTyV were to finally be cancelled, maybe then I'd start watching television again.

Jul 28, 2003 at 6:14 AM Post #45 of 48
I'm still looking for suggestions.

One thing I'm really missing right now is a good entertainment news program. Is Entertainment Tonight REALLY the best one? E News Live certainly isn't any better.

I've figured out that these days if an educational show appears on PAX, Animal Planet or PBS, that I just shouldn't bother. The good channels there seem to be Discovery, TLC, History, Science, National Geographic and Tech TV.

I really get into anything with unexplained stuff, conspiracy theories and investigations but I'm surprised by the fact that there are some really bad ones out there now. I found one show called Conspiracy Zone that was just total ass.

I was surprised to see how many all-cartoon oriented netowrks there are now. That's awesome but I wish they'd get more content. I feel like I'm supposed to suddenly convert to being a Josie & the *****cats fan. I guess the problem is that the cartoons I really dig aren't old enough to be classics yet: Dungeons & Dragons, Mighty Mouse, Tarzan.

I'm frustrated that HBO has box sets of Six Feet Under out on DVD but they're not bothering to run the show on their networks right now. Dammit. Seems to be the case with a few Original Series. I was hoping to catch reruns of Outer Limits on Showtime but not even, eh?

SciFi isn't running The Flash or Swamp Thing anymore much to my disappointment. I'm hoping they bring back Battlestar Galactica this fall when they do the new movie or whatever. Still feel like SciFi doesn't have enough content--and they run so much Paid Programming after hours.

Ah well, if you've ever wondered what it would be like to go without TV for 4 years, this post should give you some idea. It's like coming out of a cave. Definitely some good stuff out there but lots of stuff missing and lots of stuff I absolutely could not care less about.

By the way... is anyone else frustrated that MTV doesn't rerun Beavis & Butthead? Maybe it's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back