Show Off Your IEMs/Buds And Accessories!
May 18, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #496 of 3,000
Story time:

Sennheiser IE 800 Photo 3.png

Sennheiser IE 800

With the release of the HD 800 and IE 800, Sennheiser decided to restrict the distribution to higher-end and local resellers, stores and distributors instead of Amazon and the other typical big online stores that carried and sold their other products such as the HD 600 or Amperior.
At that time, I decided to add the IE 800 to my collection - the ceramic shells seemed unique enough, and the fun v-shaped sound signature should be good enough for specific listening scenarios, and I assumed that their technical capabilities should be good enough for dynamic driver in-ears. Back then, they were also the only European/American company's single dynamic driver IEMs that cost more than 500 EUR, with only very few exotics (regarding single DD IEMs) from Asian manufacturers costing even more, and all of them only available on their respective domestic market.

Anyway, so I checked Sennheiser's official list of distributors, stores and retailers that carry the IE 800, and e-mailed a bunch of them. Since they were obviously not Amazon and as it is not uncommon for physical audio stores to provide some discount, I decided to kindly ask for what their best offer for new, unopened, A-stock IE 800 were and that I intended to buy them. Some didn't even bother to reply which was fine, but the replies from some of the smaller retailers were quite shocking: they basically told me to stop wasting their time and to stop harassing them, since I, in their view, weren't able to afford the IE 800 anyway. Wow! Okay, that was definitely not what I expected.
Only one guy (out of the small retailers) who is well-known in the scene for his openness and friendliness replied and gave me a really good offer (and with a bit of talking back and forth, even told me that he could also offer the HD 800 (new A-stock) at a really good price, but unfortunately I had already purchased them at full retail price not too long ago so had to decline). In the end one of the bigger online retailers replied with an even better offer that I ultimately accepted (they even included a rather expensive issue of an audio print magazine for free and without me asking for it, which is a nice additional touch).

Etymotic ER-4S Cable.png

Afterwards I used the money that I saved in this deal to buy one of the last available sets of the Etymotic ER-4S from Amazon at a really good price, and after finally getting them to insert at the correct depth thanks to a modification of the largest triple-flange tips, they became the IEMs that I love the most and that come the closest to my perception perception of lifeless flat neutral, to the point that they sort of made my Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors (as well as most of my other IEMs) that I had bought somewhat earlier rather redundant except for the rare occasions where the UERMs' technical advantage could be needed.

UERM Photo 1.png

Sort of the same story when I purchased my Campfire Audio Andromeda: at that time, there was only one distributor. I e-mailed him and asked whether some discount were available (and also offered to officially refrain from any warranty claims after checking the IEMs upon arrival since it was already clear to me from the beginning that I wouldn't use them much since their design and colour were the main reasons why I bought them) since I could also purchase the IEMs from Campfire Audio directly (with additional import taxes and customs fees, they would've still been a good bit less expensive, but ultimately I didn't want to risk any shipping damage given that they are definitely more on the boutique IEM manufacturer side of things), and the reply that I got was quite harsh as well and subliminally conveyed that he didn't want me as a customer. I still bought the IEMs from him, and you know what? When I received the e-mail invoice, he tried to force me into paying using bank wire transfer instead of PayPal since the PayPal fees, according to him, were extraordinarily high (I would have considered paying using bank wire transfer if he offered to provide at least some small sort of discount (e.g. 50% of the PayPal fees), which he didn't, so I ended up paying using PayPal (also because I didn't have any trust in this unfriendly person anymore and just wanted to be on the safe side in case he shipped me defective or B-stock IEMs)).

Campfire Audio Andromeda Photo 1.png

Well, now I know that I should rather avoid the smaller audio retailers/distributors and stick to the bigger ones, if there are any that carry the products that I am after. It's not about the discount but the way that I am treated and whether I am respected as a customer or not.

Moondrop Starfield Photo 2.png
And right now I'm sitting here, using my Moondrop Starfield for recreational music listening. Thankfully there was no need to communicate with any retailer/distributor prior to my purchase since I purchased them through Amazon.

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #497 of 3,000
New thread title:
Show Off Your IEMs/Buds And Accessories and include retail experiences. :)

May 23, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #499 of 3,000
May 26, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #505 of 3,000
1. Bought a piece of faux leather cloth. Thought it'd make a nice surface for IEM.

_KE60009-Bearbeitet.jpg

Then tried some gold glitter foil. Didn't even have to load this photo into Photoshop.

_KE40033.jpg

May 26, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #506 of 3,000
1. Bought a piece of faux leather cloth. Thought it'd make a nice surface for IEM.

Then tried some gold glitter foil. Didn't even have to load this photo into Photoshop.

hey man!
It's out of topic, so please excuse me, I'm planning to get U12t sometime this year, maybe whenever a sale goes on, and would like to hear what's the big difference between your qdc Gemini compared to U12t. I recently got Anole VX and considering both Gemini and VX are pretty similarly tuned IEMs, and your ear that revealed incredible underdog Softears RSV, your expert comments will be an invaluable one :beerchug:

P.S. that Cerberus is so beautiful :astonished: Hope someday I could audition the beast.

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #507 of 3,000
hey man!
It's out of topic, so please excuse me, I'm planning to get U12t sometime this year, maybe whenever a sale goes on, and would like to hear what's the big difference between your qdc Gemini compared to U12t. I recently got Anole VX and considering both Gemini and VX are pretty similarly tuned IEMs, and your ear that revealed incredible underdog Softears RSV, your expert comments will be an invaluable one :beerchug:

P.S. that Cerberus is so beautiful :astonished: Hope someday I could audition the beast.
Anytime, my friend!

It's a bit tricky to compare Gemini with VX for me because I have the Gemini as a custom. (Actually, it's not with me right now. I sent it to Aure in Taiwan for a remodel.)
The Gemini had a very high treble peak, which I am sure is enhanced by the CIEM because of a deep fit. But I had the Anole VX as universal directly next to it and I was so much more impressed. I know they refined the treble for VX, but the effect was even enhanced with the CIEM vs UIEM. Sadly I never had the chance to try Gemini as universal and compare it to my custom.

Still with that advantage for the VX, I actually slightly prefer the Gemini over the U12t.
I find the 64 Audio easier to recommend overall and it has this 'easy to get into' sound. I love Apex! But Gemini is snappier and has better texture. For me, voices sounded more realistic and better fleshed out from the Gemini than U12t. No difference for the VX. (Writing these lines, I actually start to miss the Gemini. But I don't want to pressure Aure – good workmanship takes time.)

So usually the U12t is my very first recommendation when somebody is new to high-end IEM. But I know you are not. From what I read, you are like me and you love small details and pick up tiny nuances. So in that case, I think you might prefer the Anole VX..... and the RS10 will probably make you fall on your knees and cry. 😉

May 26, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #508 of 3,000
Anytime, my friend!

It's a bit tricky to compare Gemini with VX for me because I have the Gemini as a custom. (Actually, it's not with me right now. I sent it to Aure in Taiwan for a remodel.)
The Gemini had a very high treble peak, which I am sure is enhanced by the CIEM because of a deep fit. But I had the Anole VX as universal directly next to it and I was so much more impressed. I know they refined the treble for VX, but the effect was even enhanced with the CIEM vs UIEM. Sadly I never had the chance to try Gemini as universal and compare it to my custom.

Still with that advantage for the VX, I actually slightly prefer the Gemini over the U12t.
I find the 64 Audio easier to recommend overall and it has this 'easy to get into' sound. I love Apex! But Gemini is snappier and has better texture. For me, voices sounded more realistic and better fleshed out from the Gemini than U12t. No difference for the VX. (Writing these lines, I actually start to miss the Gemini. But I don't want to pressure Aure – good workmanship takes time.)

So usually the U12t is my very first recommendation when somebody is new to high-end IEM. But I know you are not. From what I read, you are like me and you love small details and pick up tiny nuances. So in that case, I think you might prefer the Anole VX..... and the RS10 will probably make you fall on your knees and cry. 😉
Thanks! Yes, I had a little doubt about redundancy for having both VX & U12t, and your comments helped me to change some mood!
Yes, If I see an RS10 sale, like 10-20% off that might be the last push. VX's layering and treble are something beyond what Sonion EST could host. Vocals are so "fragile and euphoric".

May 27, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #509 of 3,000
Sony MUC-M12NB1 Headphone Cable 4.4mm Pentaconn-MMCX
Walkman 1Z
MrWalkman's Midnight Plus, Region "J"

BGVP DM6 Universal IEM

dm6 ll.jpg

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #510 of 3,000
20210527_112245.jpg

In for a review...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back