Show off your Custom ALO Dock/Cable!
Jan 2, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #16 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is really such a minimal difference between 10 wires and 3 wires.... its definetly not justifying $250 that could easily be spent better on Headphones, Amps, or more importantly music.

Electricity takes the route of least resistance, which just means the current with the 10 wires will be the smaller which might attribute to the cleaner sound. Yet.... I doubt a dock connector wire is going to make the difference.

Also... why would anyone pay $285 for a cable on an iPod. When Vinnie's iMod is $200 plus a very nice IC for $85 would account for a MUCH IMPROVED sound over this dock.
rolleyes.gif

Simply ridiculous.

When you get to something like this...I think people buying these cables know that the law of diminishing return is on the far right and treat something like this similar to a form of art. Much like classic car collectors.

That being said...those cables look amazing. Not something I'd be able to justify with my current funds though.

Jan 2, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #17 of 118
Quote:

There is really such a minimal difference between 10 wires and 3 wires.... its definetly not justifying $250 that could easily be spent better on Headphones, Amps, or more importantly music.

Electricity takes the route of least resistance, which just means the current with the 10 wires will be the smaller which might attribute to the cleaner sound. Yet.... I doubt a dock connector wire is going to make the difference.

Also... why would anyone pay $285 for a cable on an iPod. When Vinnie's iMod is $200 plus a very nice IC for $85 would account for a MUCH IMPROVED sound over this dock.
rolleyes.gif

Simply ridiculous.

If the question were should you get an iMod or get a crazy expensive dock to mini...the answer would be get the iMod. I have an iMod and there is no question that the difference in sound is substantial. Now if you want to make the most out of the Nano that Santa put under the tree...

This is more the pursuit of the last 5-10% in sound. In my case, I have some nice custom IEMs, portable amps, etc. The wires do indeed make a difference in sound, at least to me. Are they for everyone, certainly not. But hey, this is audio...most of it is crazy anyway...

Jan 2, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #19 of 118
Quote:

Simply ridiculous.

Agreed.. I am a fan of his products, but something that good, is taking a signal from 3 dollar DACs and other cheap parts from inside the iPod..

Jan 2, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #20 of 118
Quote:

Simply ridiculous.

Yeah! This Ken guys is off his rocker! Whats he thinking making a cable like that!.... Oh wait that’s me.

I would not make them if it did not make a difference. I dont think I could continue to be in business if it did not work or make sense and the user reviews are pretty accurate.

Me

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jan 2, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #21 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah! This Ken guys is off his rocker! Whats he thinking making a cable like that!.... Oh wait that’s me.

I would not make them if it did not make a difference. I dont think I could continue to be in business if it did not work or make sense and the user reviews are pretty accurate.

Me

I think he's refering to the prices, and not the quality of the product. I agree with him. The components for these custom cables can be had for 20% of the final prices. And labor wise, it only takes an about an hour to make one. Other DIYers can make identical interconnects for half the cost or less.

Jan 2, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #22 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Me

I never said hes crazy. I just said its crazy people who spend $285 on a cable that wont sound as good as an iMod plus a $85 cable. If its pure aesthics... thats one thing, I doubt many are Head-fiers for the aesthiesthics.

Jan 2, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #23 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnm222876 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he's refering to the prices, and not the quality of the product. I agree with him. The components for these custom cables can be had for 20% of the final prices. And labor wise, it only takes an about an hour to make one. Other DIYers can make identical interconnects for half the cost or less.

Then go make them yourself if you can and keep quiet. I'm going to continue giving Ken my business...his markup is worth me not having to make them myself.

Jan 2, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #24 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then go make them yourself if you can and keep quiet. I'm going to continue giving Ken my business...his markup is worth me not having to make them myself.

Best post so far this whooole year
wink.gif

Ken is a really honest-to-goodness business guy that I had the pleasure of dealing with. Don't take him or his products for granted.

PM me when you have that cable going, mnm222876
rolleyes.gif

Jan 2, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #25 of 118
The argument about something not being worth it can be made all up and down this hobby. Frankly most people think spending even 100 dollars on one headphone is ridiculous. There are just different degrees of what seems reasonable depending on the person. Just because you can't see paying a certain amount for a minimal difference doesn't mean that others will feel the same. Anbody spending what we do on audio should be tolerant of others choices on where to put their audio dollars. And if others could make the same cables for half the cost or less, why aren't they? 'Cause I'd be all over that (still using a Sik Ram Din).

Jan 2, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #27 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this problem always comes up because we can't try'em before we buy'em

unfortunately........... besides the seldom meets we can't do anything about it.

Several of the ALO products are now carried by one of head-fi's sponsors TTVJ (ttvj.com) with a 30 day money back policy.

Jan 2, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #28 of 118
Quote:

I never said hes crazy. I just said its crazy people who spend $285 on a cable that wont sound as good as an iMod plus a $85 cable. If its pure aesthics... thats one thing, I doubt many are Head-fiers for the aesthiesthics.

Since you're obviously directing this at me seeing as how I'm the one who purchased the cable...this is entirely your opinion and as such you're entitled to it. What I choose to spend on a cable (or whatever it may be) in the pursuit of the best possible sound is my decision. Seeing as how you have not even heard the cable, then its my opinion that your post is completely worthless and amounts to nothing more than a thread crap.

If you had heard the cable, compared it to other similar offerings in both quality and price using similar equipment, then we could have a good discussion about the merits of spending on cables, or spending on a cable vs. an iMod, etc.

Personally, I'd rather see the thread get back on track as to its original intent.

Jan 2, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #29 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best post so far this whooole year
wink.gif

Ken is a really honest-to-goodness business guy that I had the pleasure of dealing with. Don't take him or his products for granted.

PM me when you have that cable going, mnm222876
rolleyes.gif

Hear, hear...couldn't agree more!

Jan 2, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #30 of 118
I use the ALO Silk Dock with a 5G iPod and Hornet.

This dock, while not exactly cheap, actually saved me money. Impossible, you say. How can anything on Head-Fi save money?
tongue.gif

I also have a MacBook, and it has an optical output. The sound quality of the iPod and Hornet combo with the Silk Dock saved me from buying a transportable DAC such as the MicroDAC, and having to carry even more gear around. If the iPod rig sounded worse than it does, I would've probably bought a small DAC for use with the MacBook. As it is now, the iPod rig is the only mobile setup I use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back