Show me your headphone measurement rig!
Sep 15, 2019 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ericj

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm considering building a jig to measure the response of headphones. To verify what my ears hear when i mod headphones and maybe to help me design some of my own.

I already bought the Dayton calibrated mic from Parts Express that is basically the Behringer mic plus a calibration chart. I still have my E-Mu 1616M working on a desktop windows 7 machine. I got that for speaker projects but it'll work for headphones too.

Might build something like this rig:

https://homebrewheadphones.com/design/testing-your-design/

I have 3d printers and could probably print some semblance of a human ear out of TPU or "Soft PLA" too.

Sep 15, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #2 of 10
73489C16-97DE-4DE0-BF9D-8E68BAF547B6.jpeg

Oct 6, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #5 of 10
A friend helped me slap this together tonight. Didn't take long.

It's a little wide as heads go but whatever. I'm sure i will alter the opening for the mic a bit more.

Mic is the Parts Express / Dayton measurement mic, which is a Behringer measurement mic that comes with a calibration chart. I'll plug it right into my E-MU 1616M and run probably REW.

Yes that's a Presonus HD7 aka Superlux HD-681B with a strap from a wrecked K270 while i wait for a replacement superlux strap from china. I hope i can improve on the standard mods for the HD-681b, just because i feel like it.

20191006_205221.jpg

Dec 20, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #6 of 10
Conception is very similar to yours. I made ear canal from wine cork with cone shape and angled microphone.
IMG_cork.jpg

Head.jpg

Attachments

• head_and_ito.jpg
    head_and_ito.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Oct 20, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #7 of 10
Hi @ericj @gumisb I see your mics are angled.

Does that introduce any issues? What about with headphones that have angled drivers?

If you flip headphones around to measure other earcup but mic stays at same angle , will left and right headphones measurements be different due to mic angle?

Or not concerned because of omni directional properties?

Oct 29, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #8 of 10
The measurement will be different so flip of microphone is needed. That's why my rig has two eyes and ears to made it easy :) In real world after initial measurement of both drivers I just use one side.

Oct 30, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #10 of 10
Look at the picture in second post. Eardrum is angled vs ear canal. From my perspective simplified model of human ear need to have cone ear canal and angled mic. Outer ear creates harmonics making things complicated :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back