Should We Have Ratings Of Headphone Amplifiers On This Site?
Jun 29, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia
I think that it would be useful to have
ratings of headphone amplifiers on this site.

Adam
confused.gif

It's a bad idea b/c EVERY one of these Ratings, recommended components, etc always does injustice to too many worthy components due to various reasons. Let's not go down the path of StereoFool's Recommended Components.

If we're going to have a "Recommended" list, I think it would be more useful to have a list of tried-and-true "proven" synergistic amp-headphone combos.

Jun 29, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #32 of 37
I nominate "drarthurwells" as the "chief guru" to perform the ratings of all things headphone related!

Seriously, though... while I think his opinions are as valid as anyone's... I doubt many of you would accept his opinions... and... if not his... then who's?

That's the problem... who's opinions, can possibly be so well informed and objective... considering all possible variations in all the factors / components that might affect such ratings?

One the other hand... it might be helpful to have a uniform rating system / methodology with some uniform metrics, which all reviewers might apply in evaluating and communicating their impressions of headphones, amps, sources, cables, etc. to complement their subjective commentary. A uniform scale (if sufficiently broad - say 1 to 10) to be applied to some uniform categories (if sufficiently finite - say 10), and if placed in the context of the components / music used in the evaluation, in the aggregate, might provide readers some general perspective of the overall characteristics of a component, or setup - from which they might draw some overall conclusions (although not precise).

GF2

Jun 29, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #33 of 37
Well, the chief editor doesn't have to add his opinion to anything. All the opinions will be from the various Head-Fi members that have posted detailed impressions. The chief editor would simply look over submissions and decide if they are complete compilations that could pass on to be added. And the whole warm/neutral/cold system shouldn't be TOO subjective as its a pretty broad categorization.

Jun 29, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #34 of 37
One of the main problems as I see it is that these amps aren't available at your local hi-fi or other retail outlet; they're usually only from a website. And unless they have a return policy--and most do--you're at a real risk.

And, as others have said, the whole amp thing is SOOOO subjective plus when you throw in the player, the phones, the cable and your own subjectivity and how you listen, it would be virtually impossible to come up with a rating.

Now build quality would be something else again. But for overall prformance/sonic picture, etc I think "no" wouldn't work

Jun 29, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #35 of 37
There should be an advance database where readers can drag a pair of headphones/iem, then an amp of their choice to see how good the pair would match! hehehe... j/k...

I don't think there needs to be a ratings list for all the amps available. But I kept wondering why the review threads haven't been updated for so long. I couldn't find a review on the PA2v2, Portaphile, Hornet, and many others. Mostly they were reviews of expensive $1,000+ amps that most of us can't afford anyways... I've searched my way into a PA2v2, but if there were more reviews available in the review thread, it would help out tremendously. I've seen many many thorough reviews that people have written but they were never stickied into the review thread.

Also, a list of all the amps available with their prices would be good. it should just be one post and the moderator updates it. We can all look at it and give notice to the mod whenever there's a change. This is good because if I want to upgrade to a $300, I can see all the amps available, then do my search accordingly. This will eliminate alot of the "which amp should i get" threads...

Jun 29, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #36 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren
I don't think there needs to be a ratings list for all the amps available. But I kept wondering why the review threads haven't been updated for so long. I couldn't find a review on the PA2v2, Portaphile, Hornet, and many others. Mostly they were reviews of expensive $1,000+ amps that most of us can't afford anyways... I've searched my way into a PA2v2, but if there were more reviews available in the review thread, it would help out tremendously. I've seen many many thorough reviews that people have written but they were never stickied into the review thread.

Those are all full-featured reviews. The reason why most of the reviews are of higher quality gear is that such reviews are more essential. Creating extensive reviews for things like the PA2V2 is a moot point considering the price. Such inexpensive low to mid-fi amps wouldn't require the amount of attention to detail and what not found in those reviews. Simply basic impressions threads for amps like the Portaphile, PA2V2, etc. should be more than enough. However, when you're talking about serious, high-end gear having full-featured reviews is much more important.

The search engine will do you wonders if you need info on the amps you mentioned (Especially The Hornet). You don't need full-featured reviews to find everything you need for amps like the PA2V2, Portaphile, etc.

Jun 30, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #37 of 37
well amps like PA2v2 are quite popular since they are affordable. you can't really say the Benz S-class is popular amongst the crowd since many can't afford it. and also, just because its a Hyundai doesn't mean that a review should automatically be dismissed. with that said, i've seen numerous threads that have different approaches to reviewing these amps which in your opinion is a waste of time to review:

1. comparing the amp with the type of music
2. comparing it with different headphones
3. describing the sound out of various sources

i don't think there will be absolutely nothing to say about a simple amp like the PA2v2 or the Hornet. also, i believe information like this serves its usefulness. yes, a search would allow any readers to find a variety of things mentioned on those amps, but if you can reduce these threads by consolidating the different opinions expressed on this amp and making it readily available (in one sticky post in the review thread), then i do think we can eliminate alot of unnecessary posts. (i'm speaking from experience as a newbie.) again, we don't need people to start writing extensive reviews on these amps, i'm only suggesting that those who have already inputed their thoughts on the amp be copy/pasted into a sticky thread on the review forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back