Should one always listen to a pair of headphones before upgrading purchasing more equipment I.E Amp/DAC?
Feb 15, 2009 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Apple254

100+ Head-Fier
I was not sure whether to post this in the Amplifier section or here so I thought I would post it in the forum that was viewed most
tongue.gif

Basically for me to know and other headphone 'n00bs' out there should one always purchase headphones and listen to them unamped or without the use of an external DAC rather than purchasing a DAC and amp at the same time as the headphones? Sorry I've made my question sound far more complicated than it actually is.

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 14
AFAIK, a good external DAC is (almost?) always welcome.

As for an amp, you better hear (or at least read somewhere) the sound characteristics of your headphones first and deciding which amp has good synergy with them, before purchasing any..

I personally think buying stuff too much too early on may kill the buzz a bit, so I save the upgrading for when I really crave it..

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple254 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was not sure whether to post this in the Amplifier section or here so I thought I would post it in the forum that was viewed most
tongue.gif

Basically for me to know and other headphone 'n00bs' out there should one always purchase headphones and listen to them unamped or without the use of an external DAC rather than purchasing a DAC and amp at the same time as the headphones? Sorry I've made my question sound far more complicated than it actually is.

If you're already committed to buying the external source, it really doesn't matter. Try the internal source first, or after you get the external DAC, or not at all. It's your choice. However, if trying to decide whether to buy an external DAC, then try the internal source first to help you decide whether to try an external DAC.

Feb 16, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 14
I may be opening a can of worms, but I believe that headphones have a lot more differences in sound presentation than the amp and/or DAC. That's not to say that amps/DACs are not important, but their relative difference in sound may not be as apparent as the differences in sound from headphones.

I have been an audiophile for almost 30 years, but found listening to music first, then speakers, then amps were, for me, the easiest way to learn about sound and how I like it presented. When I got into headphones, I knew the music, but found listening to a variety of phones let me understand how I wanted my music presented. Now I am sampling different amps and DACs, and enjoy this next progression. But the headphones were the first in the chain.

And yes, most headphones sound better with improved amplifiers and DACs in the audio chain. It just may be harder to understand these differences without some prior "learning" through different phones.

Just one man's opinion...

Feb 16, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #8 of 14
This is a bit of a loaded question.

It really depends on what headphones you are talking about.

If you are talking about SR-60s, maybe not, if you are talking about HD 650s, most definitely.

Depending on the headphones, it is hard to say what is more important, a nice External DAC (assuming you are using a PC as a source as many here do) or an amplifier.

I would not be happy with my HD650s directly out of an IPOD or my PC's sound card output, so if I didn't already have this equipment, I would factor it into the purchase price for these cans. I'm sure if you read some of the many threads here on these forums, you will get a very good idea about which cans require a nice amp and which can be used effectively without one.

It's a slippery slope though because many external DACs have RCA inputs which you will want to plug into a nice headphone amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's always good to listen unamped/external DAC so you can hear the difference though, so feel free. It's not going to hurt anything.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #10 of 14
I just asked because as my sig says I am looking, very strongly, into buying some Ultrasones and on the Ultrasone site it claims no other equipment is needed to power their headphones, just a source.

Feb 16, 2009 at 11:09 AM Post #11 of 14
I think Dobber has a good point. When you need to buy all equipment, the biggest soundsignature will almost always be the headphones. If you're not going to use them unamped, imo it's best to audition them with amps. You can then try what difference an amp makes (if any) and hear what amp drives those best, and what source to complement it.
It's like choosing what to eat, deciding you want spagetti has a much bigger impact than thinking you want some garlic in it
smily_headphones1.gif

You can always try if it sounds good without an amp too of course... then you'd only need a proper source
btw, you might want to audition those Ultrasones either way, as they're really love/hate kind of headphones.

Feb 16, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #12 of 14
Yeah I understand what you're saying and I probably would need to invest invest in a DAC as I would be listening off of a Macbook
tongue.gif
. Unfortunately nobody stocks Ultrasones in England apart from one internet site so no auditioning for me
frown.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #14 of 14
From my own experience and for what it's worth, I would never buy an Ultrasone unauditioned.
(I only heard the HFI780 and ED9 very shortly, I'll never put the HFI780 on my head again but would love an ED9)

Maybe that webshop has an address where you can hear them? Or a return policy
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back