Should my Sony Laptop sound better than my 2nd gen Itouch??
Aug 11, 2009 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

archercat

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry if this has been answered, but I wasn't sure how to search... Should my headphone out on a newer Sony Vaio SR290, with just the stock HD audio on the motherboard sound better than my 2nd gen Itouch? To me it sounds way better, even my work laptop a Dell Vostro seems to have better bass and treble extension...

Do laptops have stronger wattage? Is that why? Or am I just crazy?

I am using Sennheiser IE6's... and the same bitrate...

Thanks!

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 12
IMO the thing is that Touch is simply better than Vaio's soundcard
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #3 of 12
I would not be entirely surprised if the laptop did sound better, the Ipod Touch (along with the recent Nanos) sound absolutely terrible. The best remedy way be to have a fiddle with the equalizer and hope that you can balance out the sound from the Ipod Touch to your hearing tastes.

Aug 11, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 12
Thanks... yeah even my $50 Sansa sounds a bit better than the Touch, but I was surprised to find that music from my lappy, even thorugh itunes sounded a lot better through my laptop... might just be my ears though...

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by AT0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would not be entirely surprised if the laptop did sound better, the Ipod Touch (along with the recent Nanos) sound absolutely terrible. The best remedy way be to have a fiddle with the equalizer and hope that you can balance out the sound from the Ipod Touch to your hearing tastes.

I agree, My sister has a new Nano and it doesnt have much treble and bass extention (when i was comparing it to an old creative soundblaster card), which in turn makes music sound a little muffled and compressed. Ive not heard an Ipod Touch, but it may have a similar DAC chip etc..

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #6 of 12
I've been listening to the new Touch and it isn't really bad. It's just an ultra cold and clear player, it needs a warm amp or headphones. And no, it doesn't sound like a Nano
wink.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 12
The extra-strong current and voltage of my Asus Eee 1000HE give me the false impression of good sound quality, but careful volume matching and testing reveals that it's quite distorted.

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #8 of 12
Are you using Itunes to play your music on your computer. If the software is different, it can make a huge difference. I like the sound of my VLC software MUCH better than the same song at the same bitrate through itunes even with both EQs flat and no gain. I would describe the sound throough VLC the same way you described your computer (clear extended upper range and tighter cleaner bass)

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by archercat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry if this has been answered, but I wasn't sure how to search... Should my headphone out on a newer Sony Vaio SR290, with just the stock HD audio on the motherboard sound better than my 2nd gen Itouch? To me it sounds way better, even my work laptop a Dell Vostro seems to have better bass and treble extension...

Do laptops have stronger wattage? Is that why? Or am I just crazy?

I am using Sennheiser IE6's... and the same bitrate...

Thanks!

As the common sense the PC audio is worse than the professional audio. i have no SONY VAIO sr 290, But if it is better than TOCH, SOny must hype it is the best sound quality PC or just call it WALKMAN PC. right?

So the answer for you is clear.

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sennshead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you using Itunes to play your music on your computer. If the software is different, it can make a huge difference. I like the sound of my VLC software MUCH better than the same song at the same bitrate through itunes even with both EQs flat and no gain. I would describe the sound throough VLC the same way you described your computer (clear extended upper range and tighter cleaner bass)

Yeah I play it itunes for both to be sure... Maybe it's just me... It just seems like I get much more treble and deeper bass withg a slightly longer decay...

Could be that the Ipod is just more accurate then?

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #12 of 12
Hi,

Your laptop will ALWAYS sound better.

it simply has more voltage pushing a larger sound wave.

darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back