Should I wait or not?
Mar 14, 2012 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JagerBenton

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I have been looking at headphones for a few months now and I am thinking I want some headphones that are about $150. I was looking at the Philips Citiscape Downtowns because I want to be able to bring my headphones to school. I have looked at the Senn HD 25-1 ii and the V-Moda M-80 but decided they were too expensive. So I was wondering if I should wait until May 1st, when the Downtowns come out, or if there are some other suggestions That are similar to the Downtowns already out. By the way, I was looking at the Downtowns because they are supposed to have great sound quality for their price and they are supposed to have very little leakage.
Thanks in advance,
Hunter

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 13
I know nothing about the philips cityscape. What are you looking for? musical tastes? 

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 13
Heya,

Looks like an over priced toy to me. But can't say anything for sure until it's in someone's hands and all.

I would suggest you look at other headphones though, consider:

Shure SRH750
Shure SRH840
Brainwaz HM5
Beyer DT660
Beyer DT770
Ultrasone HFI 580
Ultrasone HFI 780

Very best,

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 13
I felt like I missed something! Okay, I listen to a pretty big range of music. The only thing I don't listen to a lot is country music.. 
I guess I'm looking for:
  -Durable enough for outside daily use
  -Good sound (Obviously)
  -I won't use an amp
  -Low leakage is very important to me
I can't think of anything else.. Just let me know if I did!

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 13
You can also consider the Shure SRH440's. They do well with most genres i've tried. 

There's also the Aiaiai Tma-1 or the HD-25's (which you think are expensive) but they are rock solid. 

Mar 14, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #8 of 13
they are over ears so they are pretty big , unless u are carrying a bag , bringing it around would be troublesome. They are built like tanks so u can just throw it inside.

i think they have a 30 Ohm version that does not need an amp?

i had the dt770 pro and they block out sufficient noise for me to use it for drumming so yup.

Mar 14, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
Hey MalVeaux,
I had been interested in the 770s. I had a couple questions..
-Are the 770s inconvenient for taking in the public?
-Do they need an amp?
-Do they have low leakage?
Thanks

I would say that they do need an amp. I knew someone who had the DT770 PRO 80 ohm, and I tried them out of my friend's S9 then through his XM5 and the bass had little extension un-amped vs amped and the mids weren't as full, highs also lacked extension. The amp was flat btw, i.e. no bass boost or anything. That's not to say you couldn't use them un-amped, but they do get better with amping. The 770s are pretty big, but seeing as how you're looking at those cityscapes, I don't know if that's a big deal for you. The cord is coiled so at least you wouldn't have to worry about a long cord, but it would still probably be a little longer than what's practical for portable use. I would say look elsewhere. The DT770s are great for home use, but not so much for portable use.

My two cents

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #11 of 13
Simple to me that the best for the price between 150 to 500 dollars would be the Atrios. A dynamic driver that has bass and the deepest sub bass in a universal earphones. Plus they last long ine are 5 yrs old.

Quote:
I felt like I missed something! Okay, I listen to a pretty big range of music. The only thing I don't listen to a lot is country music.. 
I guess I'm looking for:
  -Durable enough for outside daily use
  -Good sound (Obviously)
  -I won't use an amp
  -Low leakage is very important to me
I can't think of anything else.. Just let me know if I did!

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
Hey MalVeaux,
I had been interested in the 770s. I had a couple questions..
-Are the 770s inconvenient for taking in the public?
-Do they need an amp?
-Do they have low leakage?
Thanks

Heya,

I have no problem with them in public. They're big sweet headphones. If you're self-conscious about wearing headphones in public at all, then there's no helping you. But if you like to sneer at the skull candies and beats while you rock some quality Beyers, which they've never heard of, it's awesome. They benefit from an amplifier, I use the Fiio E11, it's great, runs from my Sansa Fuze. They are very good at isolation, very low leak, one of the better passive isolation headphones out there, while still being incredibly comfortable. They sound great and look great and they're built like tanks. But, I also smoke pipes in public and wear big headphones in public, so my stance on that is my own and may not be for everyone.

Very best,

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Simple to me that the best for the price between 150 to 500 dollars would be the Atrios. A dynamic driver that has bass and the deepest sub bass in a universal earphones. Plus they last long ine are 5 yrs old.

I'm not really looking for in-ears..

Quote:
I would say that they do need an amp. I knew someone who had the DT770 PRO 80 ohm, and I tried them out of my friend's S9 then through his XM5 and the bass had little extension un-amped vs amped and the mids weren't as full, highs also lacked extension. The amp was flat btw, i.e. no bass boost or anything. That's not to say you couldn't use them un-amped, but they do get better with amping. The 770s are pretty big, but seeing as how you're looking at those cityscapes, I don't know if that's a big deal for you. The cord is coiled so at least you wouldn't have to worry about a long cord, but it would still probably be a little longer than what's practical for portable use. I would say look elsewhere. The DT770s are great for home use, but not so much for portable use.

My two cents

Okay, so I don't think I'm going for the 770s. Haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back