Should I wait for Chroma?
Feb 23, 2005 at 6:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Serial

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I'm thinking of buying an HDD mp3 player sometime soon, but I don't necessarily absolutely "need" one, yet.
rolleyes.gif
I'm really leaning on to the Rio Karma, though I'm quite disappointed to find out that it only has 20gb of space. (Makes me consider getting a 40gb iPod instead.) Just curious, but do you think I should just wait for the Rio Chroma to come out, whenever that would be? Did they announce whether it would have a larger capacity?

Thank you.

Feb 23, 2005 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 16
Rio has not officially announced the Chroma os nothing is known. Although, it is speculated to be out this year (*ONLY* speculation by some). Go to riovolution forums, as they have a sticky in the Karma General forum on this.

As far as 40gb vs 20gb, I took my archive of just over 100gb of FLAC, transcoded to q5 Vorbis, and now have 4700 song files on my karma. 40gb would be nice, as q5 is quite transparent to my ears, but I do have more music than you can shake a stick at, right now.

Feb 23, 2005 at 12:53 PM Post #4 of 16
I don't use FLAC on my karma. I'd rather have all my music (100+gb in FLAC vs 16gb q5 vorbis) than perfect copies when I'm walking around campus. I've heard Vorbis has worse batt life than FLAC, but don't have anything to back it up. I usually use it for around 5-6hours/day, and then charge it at night when I fall asleep listening to it.

Feb 23, 2005 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 16
The Chroma has been mentioned for such a long time... I'm beginning to think that it will become vaporware...

If it does eventually come out, it better blow the competition out of the water. People have waited long enough!

Feb 23, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by slunk007
If it does eventually come out, it better blow the competition out of the water. People have waited long enough!

well, considering that speculations claim only a 12 hour battery life, , it ain't gunna fly compared to the 18hrs of the new ipod. rio better incorporate whatever new battery technology the ipod is using, or else theyre not going to make it. there was a claim about the chroma being delayed for battery-related stuff, though, so maybe they are.

Feb 23, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
well, considering that speculations claim only a 12 hour battery life, , it ain't gunna fly compared to the 18hrs of the new ipod. rio better incorporate whatever new battery technology the ipod is using, or else theyre not going to make it. there was a claim about the chroma being delayed for battery-related stuff, though, so maybe they are.

As the carbon has a 20 hour battery I'm sure the chroma won't have anything below 15 hours. And to be fair, it's only the new mini that has 18 hours, not the 1.8" DAP's. The "battery related stuff" info I think was bs (there was a rumour from someone on riovolution). The chroma hasn't even been confirmed yet, let alone details about battery life, so I say just wait and see...

Feb 23, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #8 of 16
Although there has been no official word on the Chroma, you sort of have to assume they're working on a successor to the Karma, right? They're not just going to let the Karma stagnate. So then the question is, what is going on over at Rio? What's taking so long?

Feb 23, 2005 at 6:14 PM Post #12 of 16
id like a line out. and maby makt the player itslef a little smaller. but if they could accomplish that thern... good bye team ipod and hello team karma
tongue.gif

Feb 23, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

I'm really leaning on to the Rio Karma, though I'm quite disappointed to find out that it only has 20gb of space. (Makes me consider getting a 40gb iPod instead.)

You always could do the 40GB mod...
tongue.gif

Feb 23, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mushu
As the carbon has a 20 hour battery I'm sure the chroma won't have anything below 15 hours. And to be fair, it's only the new mini that has 18 hours, not the 1.8" DAP's. The "battery related stuff" info I think was bs (there was a rumour from someone on riovolution). The chroma hasn't even been confirmed yet, let alone details about battery life, so I say just wait and see...

there have been a number of electronics website stores that for whatever reason, had the chroma listed, and all of them listed the battery life as 12 hours. I'm not saying I necessarily believe this or that anyone else should either, but that is where i got the number from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back