Should I use flats with my SR225?
Mar 3, 2009 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

raffy

100+ Head-Fier
I got my SR225s last week and compared to the HD650s, these feel more "alive" and faster which is exactly what I'm looking for. However, I find that these at times are a little too bright for my tastes and the bass which goes deep enough, needs a little bit more quantity.

Will switching from bowls to flats help me in this case?

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 9
Flats will increase bass, but nothing is free in this world, so you will lose a bit of the mids and highs.

To me, it is not an issue of whether flats or bowls are better with my MS2, but more of what I want at the moment (type of music Im listening too).

There is no wrong choice. Chocolate is not better than vanilla nor vice versa. It's just a choice. However, flats are pretty pricey nowadays. I remember when I bought them for $25 shipped brand new. The audible difference is VERY noticeable, I'll tell you that much!

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 9
U can use the Sennheiser HD 414 pads i think if u dont mind the yellow colour... they are cheaper.

The Bowls are horrible on my MS-2 very faint bass guitar sounds without an amp. But yes the highend-mids are very nice.

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 9
Flats will have more bass and tame the high end. I have not listened to SR-225, but compared to my SR-60's with bowls, I missed the highs and the bass sounded muddy and bloated when I switched to flats. I have not listened to the flat's in a while.
I am not a basshead, and like Ety ER4S, Beyer DT-880 and AKG K701 all of which many think lack bass. Pads are cheap -- I'd give them a try and see if you like them. Pads can really change the sound on Grado's.

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for all the replies. I switched from bowls to flats when I had my HP-1000 and I liked the effect but I was wondering if it's the same with the SR225. I must say, the mids and highs on these are nice but slightly tipped. Just a little treble decrease is all I need.....plus more bass
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #7 of 9
reverse the bowls. I either use flats or reverse bowls on my rs1. I can't really g back to bowls because the bass seems non existent after usin flats and the music just seems real thin. sometimes the flats make the sound too muddy though, so I think my favorite pad right now is the reverse bowl. it tames some of the sharp highs and gives more bass impact, but doesn't seem muddy or bloated or kill the soundstage like the flats sometimes do. I'd say give it a shot, it's free and easily reversible.

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #8 of 9
I'd get some flats. Grado owners should take full advantage of all the great pad options available.

Increased bass punch and decreased treble. I think the bass is due to the flats making a seal around your ear and the "bubble" of air in between the driver and your ear really lets you feel the bass. Same with reversed hd414 pads.

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #9 of 9
The flats will decrease the overall sound quality of your SR225 greatly. I'll advise you to just listen more to the SR225; the more you listen to it, the more you'll love its highs. Once you get used to it you might not be able to stand listening to your HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back