should I use Digital or analog for edifier S350D
Mar 21, 2015 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

headoncollision

100+ Head-Fier
should I use digital or analog for these desktop speakers, both my onboard and creative SB HD external DAC support Digital, but if I`m gonna use analog I`m gonna be using the analog speaker out from my rampage iv gene MB not the creative SB, I have read somewhere that SPDF out is compressed and kinda degrade the sound signal, I`ve notice that when I connect analog I get an overall better bass and treble extension whenever with my audioquest green 3.5 jack to RCA cable.
also I`m using a 16 gauge radioshack wires with these satalite speakers probably 2 feet long or so, I know there isn`t much of a difference since these are a low end sound system anyway. but it`s worth asking if their better than the bundled one which I suspect their 22 gauge or something since their way thinner.
thanks guys ^_^

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #2 of 3
S/PDIF is "compressed" and degrades the sound? That's a new one. Where do these ideas come from? My guess is that you probably didn't hear exactly the same volume level in your test and you perceived the slightly louder sound as "better".

If you send digital to the speakers, then the DAC in the speakers is being used. If you send your motherboard analog out to the speakers, then your motherboard DAC is being used. If you send digital to the speakers, then the only amp being used is the speaker amp. If you send motherboard analog to the speakers, then the motherboard amp is adding gain and then the speaker amp is adding gain on top of that.

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #3 of 3
S/PDIF is "compressed" and degrades the sound? That's a new one. Where do these ideas come from? My guess is that you probably didn't hear exactly the same volume level in your test and you perceived the slightly louder sound as "better".

If you send digital to the speakers, then the DAC in the speakers is being used. If you send your motherboard analog out to the speakers, then your motherboard DAC is being used. If you send digital to the speakers, then the only amp being used is the speaker amp. If you send motherboard analog to the speakers, then the motherboard amp is adding gain and then the speaker amp is adding gain on top of that.

thanks for the reply, yes I`m aware of all that, I really don`t remember where I read this exactly, but it sure feels that the volume is lower when I use analog instead of digital, I assume there isn`t any difference if I use S/PDIF from the SB X-FI HD or the motherboard one, since both digital signals will be converted by the DAC of the speaker system anyway.
maybe the DAC of the MB is better than the DAC of the speaker system? thats why the sound quality seems different even though the overall volume is lower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back