Should I upgrade to a Fiio Q3 from a Fiio A5?
Nov 24, 2020 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mcheyre

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!
I was looking at the new Fiio Q3 portable amp/DAC, and I was wondering if it was worth the upgrade from the Fiio A5.

I have a pair of Sennheisers HD660S, and I don't know if the sound will improve (given that the Fiio A5 could probably be outdated by now). Unfortunately I cannot test the new Fiio Q3, so I am relying only on online recommendations.

I have a Fiio M6 DAP that I use to play Hi-res files (flac, wav and DSD) for classical and jazz.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

Nov 24, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #2 of 8
Hi everyone!
I was looking at the new Fiio Q3 portable amp/DAC, and I was wondering if it was worth the upgrade from the Fiio A5.

I have a pair of Sennheisers HD660S, and I don't know if the sound will improve (given that the Fiio A5 could probably be outdated by now). Unfortunately I cannot test the new Fiio Q3, so I am relying only on online recommendations.

I have a Fiio M6 DAP that I use to play Hi-res files (flac, wav and DSD) for classical and jazz.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!
I say no, the A5 is actually a more powerful amp than the Q3 and also has much lower output impedance. So the Q3 will be a downgrade from the A5.
A5:
1606229036181.png

Q3:
1606229075232.png

Nov 24, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #3 of 8
You are right! The difference is quite significant (at least numbers-wise).

I wouldn't have known how to interpret all the data, so thank you very much for your help.

I have another question though (I am still learning, so please bear with me): is it only "power" that matters? (assuming that impedance regards specifically to the amount of power that the amp can give). Or can I expect an improvement in sound given other parameters like the type of amp (new and better technology perhaps)?. I read somewhere that the Q3 has a THX AAA amp (no idea what that means). I wonder how "outdated" a headphone amp can be. I have gotten accostumed to how smartphones or computers, for instance, are quickly outdated due to new technology. Does it work in a similar way in the portable headphone amp world ? (or at least in this case).

Thanks again!

Have a great day

Nov 24, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #4 of 8
You are right! The difference is quite significant (at least numbers-wise).

I wouldn't have known how to interpret all the data, so thank you very much for your help.

I have another question though (I am still learning, so please bear with me): is it only "power" that matters? (assuming that impedance regards specifically to the amount of power that the amp can give). Or can I expect an improvement in sound given other parameters like the type of amp (new and better technology perhaps)?. I read somewhere that the Q3 has a THX AAA amp (no idea what that means). I wonder how "outdated" a headphone amp can be. I have gotten accostumed to how smartphones or computers, for instance, are quickly outdated due to new technology. Does it work in a similar way in the portable headphone amp world ? (or at least in this case).

Thanks again!

Have a great day
Newer dac/amps might have better measurements (but doesnt necessarily mean that we human beings can percieve them lol). From what I know THX tech is a way to get better measurement, but as you can see in this case it doesnt compare to the A5.

I trust measurements over a big majority of "reviewers" for sources, because measurements dont lie while reviewers certainly can do that to keep gettting free review units...

Nov 24, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #5 of 8
Newer dac/amps might have better measurements (but doesnt necessarily mean that we human beings can percieve them lol). From what I know THX tech is a way to get better measurement, but as you can see in this case it doesnt compare to the A5.

I trust measurements over a big majority of "reviewers" for sources, because measurements dont lie while reviewers certainly can do that to keep gettting free review units...

That's an interesting point of view. Thank you so much!

It's a joyful ride getting each time better sound. But as I have read on many reviewers, we shouldn't forget the most important thing: to listen and enjoy.

Thanks for your reply!

Nov 24, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #6 of 8
That's an interesting point of view. Thank you so much!

It's a joyful ride getting each time better sound. But as I have read on many reviewers, we shouldn't forget the most important thing: to listen and enjoy.

Thanks for your reply!
Np, I say you should enjoy what you have.

Jan 30, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #8 of 8
im connected my lcd-2c cb to fiio Q3 MQA and at low gain volume up at 100% way too big sound for my ears. comfortable is 70% of volume. and thats from 3.5mm output 170mW, balanced will be 330mW and lined up to usb-c gives 370mW. do i need upgrade to Fiio Q7 or grypthon with 1000-1500mw? does it change music sound quality or only loud?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back