Should I upgrade or not? Sony MDR-V6 vs. Turtle Beach x12
Jan 14, 2013 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

valek879

New Head-Fier
Okay, so I suppose this could go two or three places, but I figure that the V6's are portables, and I will probably get more response from this sub forum.

Now I am certain my question could be answered with a simple yes, but I would like for someone with a better ear to help me out. Right now I have a pair of Turtle Beach x12's, which obviously impresses no one on this forum, but it is what I could afford and everyone understands that. I am trying to figure out if it would be worth it in a very substantial way to upgrade from the pieces of crap to a pair of V6's.

To answer some early questions I have had this headset for about 1.5 years and have at least 1000 hours on them, if not much much more. I use them for everything from gaming to watching movies and listening to music at night so i don't disturb my roommates who wake up at the slightest thump of a sub. I like them, and they are fairly comfortable, but the sound quality is almost always lacking punch. ex. when I first got them for about 5 months or so playing an fps if you shot a gun, like a sniper rifle, it would leave your ears ringing for 15 - 20 minutes, you knew you had fired a shot, now they have barely enough punch to make the sound without it being muddle out by anything else.

Now I have heard a great way to go for an entry level audiophile headset is to grab the ATH-AD700 and add a clip on mic, but I met someone who had a pair of them at the airport in Denver and he let me try them out, while I must say the sound quality was very good, I was more than disappointed by the feeling that the headphones were falling off my head if i even slightly moved.

I have a friend who had the V6's and he loves them but I was not convinced when I listened to them, we believe it was something with his audio card acting up at the time, but I am unconvinced and have no money, so I was wondering if someone would be able to listen to both of them and give me an idea as to whether or not it would be a significant enough upgrade to warrant the expense. If someone has the V6's and never bothered with a POS like the Beaches, I think Best Buy has them on display currently (at least they do at my closest BB).

I would appreciate any opinions, however I really do not need these guys: STAX SR-009 which I saw pop up in a similar thread...

~Val

P.S. Dear lord I need to change my Gravitar....

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 2
I have the Sony V6 and although the sound quality is better, my son's Turtle Beach X12 were pretty good, so V6 not worth the extra money IMO. Check out the Koss Pro DJ100 with the M50 pads. Message tdockweiler for advice, he's very knowledgeable and helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back