Should I upgrade my Solo 2?
Oct 19, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 8
I've had my Solo 2 for about 2 months but I always felt like something is missing. If I buy ATH M50x will they sound any better is it worth it?

In before the Beats hate... Just an aside, you won't find much love for Beats or Bose here.. That being said, I haven't had much experience with the Solo 2. But I will say the time I've spent with the M50x has been pretty positive. Quite a good set of cans if your considering making the purchase.

Oct 19, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 8
Depends on your source. If it's a smartphone then no. If you have a headphone amp that makes things closer, but then it depends on what you like.

I'd suggest Yamaha MT220 instead of M50x, it's more musical and fun. 

Oct 19, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #4 of 8
What music do you listen to? What's wrong with the Beats? The M50x is more of a side-step.

Oct 19, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 8
  Depends on your source. If it's a smartphone then no. If you have a headphone amp that makes things closer, but then it depends on what you like.

I'd suggest Yamaha MT220 instead of M50x, it's more musical and fun. 

+1 I agree if you don't mind the coiled cable.

Oct 20, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 8
Well I mostly listen to hip-hop,rap, electronic music. My source is usually my laptop but I also use them with my phone. I don't know I was so hyped about the Solo 2's now I feel like I expected something more.
What do you think will be a tangible upgrade over the Solo 2's or the M50X's?

Oct 20, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #7 of 8
I'm with inthere. Whilst I'm not a fan of Beats either I gave the Solo 2 a listen when I was shopping around for a new set of cans lately. If you ask me Beats have improved considerably, the first ones were horrible. They have a very punchy, somewhat aggressive sound which should go well with your taste in music. All hate aside I do believe that the Solo 2 are probably well matched with weak sources like a laptop soundcard or a smartphone because they might turn their dull sound into something a little more exciting, if you're into that. That's probably what they have been designed for.

Since you're accustomed to the very colored sound of the Beats other, more neutral headphones might sound very dull to you at first. Getting good sound out of your laptop / smartphone could be difficult with better headphones as well. As inthere said Investing in a portable DAC might be a thing to consider, but they aren't cheap. I'm not in a position to recommend alternatives, though, since I only listened to a narrow selection of headphones. Personally, I bought the Sennheiser Momentum 2, because they have a bass boost as well, but sound very clean and clear compared to the alternatives that were available in that price range. They don't play nice with weak sources though, so they probably wouldn't be a good fit for you.

EDIT: Spelling.

Oct 20, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #8 of 8
The Beats Solo 2 are good headphones if you like heavy bass in all your music. If you find them lacking, it might be because of lack of 'airyness' or 'sparkle'. The treble of the Solo 2 is a bit in the background. Maybe you want more detail, resolution or a better soundstage (the sense of space in the music).

For a significant upgrade that doesn't get too neutral (with elevated bass), you'd have to look at the Denon AH-MM400. It's much pricier though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back