Should I upgrade my headphone from HD600 to AKG K-1000?
Oct 17, 2002 at 1:49 AM Post #16 of 27
So, uncledan, there's no way to convince you to get a cd player and place it next to your computer? If not, the above suggestions are pretty good. Also, consider getting a USB DAC. You would then take the digital to analog conversion process out of your noisy computer case.

Oct 17, 2002 at 3:15 PM Post #18 of 27
Is it Carddeluxe better then M-Audio Delta DiO 2496? if I want to use the soundcard to my MG-Head OTL. Since Carddeluxe is kind of old model (about 2 years already). Also, do you guys heard anything about Creative Audigy2?

Oct 17, 2002 at 5:43 PM Post #19 of 27
Geez.. wearing AKG K-1000 just like hanging 2 mini-speakers on ur head...

Oct 17, 2002 at 5:48 PM Post #20 of 27
Okay... if you MUST listen to music from a computer... here's what you do:

Get the top of the line M audio Pro soundcard. (MAKE SURE IT HAS A COAX OUTPUT)

Then... get an Art DI/O, and either make cables for it yourself, or get them from belden.

Then hook this up to your MG Head, and you have a 100% tube sound.

Oct 17, 2002 at 9:23 PM Post #21 of 27
Here is the summary of <What I should buy in order to make my computer SING>!!!!
Soundcard: Terratec EWX24/96 (does this have COAX output?) or M-Audio Delta Dio 2496
DAC: Art DI/O <=(Can I modify it after I bought?)
cable: Boulder cable
Power supple: stancor PS

Any other suggestions? Since I am going to buy them all to upgrade my headphone system. Also, which soundcard should I get, their price are almost the same.

Thanks all

Oct 18, 2002 at 12:49 AM Post #22 of 27
Try looking into the sound http://www.stereo-link.com/ external DAC for the PC. It has a very good 20bit DAC and uses the USB cable so you don't get all the EMF noise from inside the computer case. Either that or the Terratec DMX 6Fire LT would be nice if you need to get an internal card. It uses the same Envy24 chip as the M-audio Audiophile 2496 and Echo Mia soundcards.

I suggest you visit www.hydrogenaudio.org and also 3dsoundsurge.com forum, where people much more knowledgbe about PC audio converse.

Oct 18, 2002 at 6:52 AM Post #23 of 27
Hello, Uncledan

My suggestion is to upgrade your soundcard and you may consider going for the Maya 44. ($129)

Here is a link :

Maya 44

What I don't like about the SB Live, AWE 64 Gold and others is the fact that it is difficult to eliminate the tone and eq controls.
The overall sound quality is also not to my liking.

You can always ad a external DAC to this soundcard as a upgrade.

Gavin

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2002 at 9:57 AM Post #24 of 27
Uncledan,

It seems you have been bombarded by so much advice, you're probably tearing your hair out of your head. I'll try to clarify things and put them in perspective:

The absolute best solution by far:

Get a good CD player

If you insist on leaving your computer as a digital source then:

The best solution is:
M-Audio Delta Dio 24/96 because it doesn't resample the digital signal and use the external DAC (Digital-Analog converter) such as Art DI/O

Note, don't use the Delta Dio card if you're not going to get an external DAC.

The next best solution:
Card Deluxe

Everything else will give you marginal improvements over your current set up.

Oct 19, 2002 at 1:10 PM Post #25 of 27
I might be a newbie here, but I know good sound when I hear it. I just bought a Terratec DMX 6-Fire and it kicked the living crap out of my SB Live. You may not need the full version with the breakout box, so the LT version might suite you just fine. I would like to assume that any true 24/96 sound card made by a real audio company should have pretty similar quality. I would avoid getting strange solutions to get around the SB's DAC and just replace it. This card has much better proccessing and positioning and that's half the battle.
The reason i got the full 6-Fire with the breakout box is that I want to have RCA i/o, a quality headphone jack and coax digital (in addition to optical) and I'll be using the phono input to record all the vinyl in my basement just as soon as I get my hands on a good turn table. If none of this is of interest to you, than don't bother, the LT is <$180 instead of $250.

Oct 19, 2002 at 6:37 PM Post #26 of 27
THANKS for all the suggestion. You guys are so nice
biggrin.gif

I will get Art DI/O for sure, but it is hard for me to decide which soundcard should I get. Here are the three choices:

MAudio Delta Dio 2496, Card Deluxe and Terratec DMX 6-Fire.

They all have coax digital output which what I need for my Art DI/O. Based on the price, I will get MAudio Delta Dio 2496, since it is cheapest. However, Terratec have the better driver for PC game. Can MAudio Delta be a good gaming Soundcard? Should I wait for Terratec new series:Aureon?

Sometime, it is a problem when you have too many choices....

confused.gif

Oct 21, 2002 at 10:07 AM Post #27 of 27
The only one of those cards decent enough for gaming is DMX 6fire (I own it myself). It also has comparable sound quality to MAudio Delta Dio 2496.

regards,
Halcyon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back