Should I upgrade my DAC
Sep 25, 2016 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

scshunter

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have Schiit modi Uber 2 as started. Now I do not use headphone but my stereo audio with the floor standing speakers/separated power amp and preamp. Should I spend more money into more expensive DAC? What's your opinions and suggestions? thanks.

Sep 25, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 10
That's a decent DAC but definitely room for improvement. You need to base your decision around the value of your other system pieces and what type of sound you value too. There is no easy formula but most of the time you get what you pay for. The Schiit stuff is huge price to performance ratio. Staying within the Schiit line is money well spent.

Sep 25, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks Nordkapp!

I started building my audio stereo system last year and still learning. I do not use headphone no more. I upgraded the system to Cambridge 840a integrated amp then had Canary CA-800/Krell krc-3 preamplifiers and Krell ksa 250 power amp. So, I am not sure if upgrading the DAC will make some significant improvement based on my current setup. I have looked at Cambridge DacMagic DAC and would like to spend 200 to 600 price range in used. Your advice will be much appreciated.

Sep 25, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 10
Try for a used benchmark dac1, or again something from Schiit. Can't speak for the dac magic-never heard it. There are tons of DACS on Audiogon. PS Audio nuwave comes to mind also. Solid DAC.

Sep 26, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #8 of 10
That DAC is fairly good. Most improvements from there would be relatively small. If you haven't done it already, maybe optimise the room acoustics because I think that it might make a bigger difference. 

Sep 26, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #10 of 10
While the soundstage is the beauty of the speakers :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back