Should I upgrade my DAC? FX-Audio DAC-X6
Nov 11, 2023 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BadMusicVideos

New Head-Fier
This is my DAC. Please forgive the clutter. I'm currently using Schitt Magni+ as an amp. I heard DAC doesn't matter too much so I got a cheap one, it still seems like an upgrade from my MacBook audio. If I spend the $100+ dollars to upgrade my DAC will I see any difference from this one? It does supposedly process 24-bit/192hz audio. More than that I hear cannot be perceived by human ears.

IMG_0599.jpeg

Nov 12, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 5
Probably stay put until you can afford the Modi Multibit. That will give an audible imorovement that is likely worth it.

Nov 14, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 5
Yes, as long as you don't get one with similar price tag of your current one. DAC DOES matter much. I suggest at least triple your price tag to hear a "difference". And if you upgrade, don't upgrade DAC ONLY, unless you are sure to have a better IEM or headphone to pair with it. Do some research on Balanced output too, you may want to use it to gain a better sound.

Nov 14, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 5
Yes, as long as you don't get one with similar price tag of your current one. DAC DOES matter much. I suggest at least triple your price tag to hear a "difference". And if you upgrade, don't upgrade DAC ONLY, unless you are sure to have a better IEM or headphone to pair with it. Do some research on Balanced output too, you may want to use it to gain a better sound.

Yes I did some reading about a guy who changed his dad to a $300 DAC coming from $100 doc, and he said the difference was night and day, more balanced, better soundstage, he said it made more of a difference than changing his speakers. Maybe he just had a bad DAC to start with though and it was his bottleneck.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good DAC other than Schitt or are they the best way to go?

Nov 14, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #5 of 5
Yes I did some reading about a guy who changed his dad to a $300 DAC coming from $100 doc, and he said the difference was night and day, more balanced, better soundstage, he said it made more of a difference than changing his speakers. Maybe he just had a bad DAC to start with though and it was his bottleneck.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good DAC other than Schitt or are they the best way to go?
just FYI, my current one is topping ex5, which is not an ordinary DAC but a DAC+AMP. I started with it, then added a dedicated AMP to drive more power hungry headphones, so i'm now using it in preamp mode. It's still quite good enough to drive IEMs. It can drive up to 600ohm, but you cannot ask for a good sound in that case. I still regard ex5 is a good starter gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back