Should I upgrade my amp?

Should I upgrade my amp?

• Total voters
Jul 28, 2019 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

vipervick

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I currently own and use the Schiit Magni 3 / Modi 3 stack. Should I upgrade the amp to the THX AAA 789? The headphones I use at the moment are the ATH-M50, AKG 7XX, and Mr. Speakers Alpha Dog. However, I would like to upgrade to a TOTL headphone for Metal.

Jul 28, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #4 of 14
Agree with @ProtegeManiac, @vipervick

Not to mention the amps listed by @ProtegeManiac are definitely easier to get.

Whether they are more suited to your personal tastes & music depends on you.

Hope you both have a great day !

Easier to get? The 789 is on Drop, probably the easiest to get. I've never really heard of the others @ProtegeManiac suggested.

My biggest problem is that I don't have a reference. The Schiit stack is the only DAC/AMP I've ever owned.

Jul 28, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #5 of 14
Easier to get? The 789 is on Drop, probably the easiest to get. I've never really heard of the others @ProtegeManiac suggested.

My biggest problem is that I don't have a reference. The Schiit stack is the only DAC/AMP I've ever owned.

Well, @vipervick,

Until recently, the 789 has been almost a pain to get for many as within seconds, it usually gets sold out.

I had been waiting almost 3 years before I finally managed to book one, so go figure.
At least Drop decided to extend their order list to a month this time.

Well, since you're in the US, especially CA, Violectric V280, Burson Conductor Virtuoso, WooAudio WA6 are among the easiest to find and demo whereas you'll have to wait till December for the 789 which you can't even demo before knowing what that sounds like.

So I would suggest finding a good dealer near you & try the V280, Virtuoso and WA6 then at least you have some idea what you're looking for sound wise then if you feel so inclined, go for the 789 as well.

Hope you have a great day !

Jul 28, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #6 of 14
Referencing your post in the metal thread about wanting to get into ZMF headphones,I would suggest an OTL amp for Zach's creations. As to which OTL depends upon your budget.
Both Hansotek and I are using the GOTL for our ZMFs(and others) and its a glorious amp. In fact almost all the GOTL owners have a ZMF headphone in their collection.
The downside to a GOTL is the wait for yours to be built. The basic GOTL will set you back around $700.00,and then upwards from there depending upon options.

FWIW,Zach uses a GOTL,and Glenn uses ZMF headphones. See a pattern here?

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 14
Referencing your post in the metal thread about wanting to get into ZMF headphones,I would suggest an OTL amp for Zach's creations. As to which OTL depends upon your budget.
Both Hansotek and I are using the GOTL for our ZMFs(and others) and its a glorious amp. In fact almost all the GOTL owners have a ZMF headphone in their collection.
The downside to a GOTL is the wait for yours to be built. The basic GOTL will set you back around $700.00,and then upwards from there depending upon options.

FWIW,Zach uses a GOTL,and Glenn uses ZMF headphones. See a pattern here?
Where does one find a GOTL amp?

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #10 of 14
Aug 5, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #11 of 14

The Schiit stack is a decent amp and dac combo I have one and it does well with several headphones. Is it the best no by no means but it is respectable none the less. For the Alpha Dogs a Drop Cavalli Liquid Carbon would be my choice as I do miss my Alpha Dogs and the Carbon just is a great match for them as well with many of my other headphones like the HE-500’s and HD-800’s.

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #12 of 14
The Schiit stack is a decent amp and dac combo I have one and it does well with several headphones. Is it the best no by no means but it is respectable none the less. For the Alpha Dogs a Drop Cavalli Liquid Carbon would be my choice as I do miss my Alpha Dogs and the Carbon just is a great match for them as well with many of my other headphones like the HE-500’s and HD-800’s.
The LC over 789?

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #13 of 14
The LC over 789?
I’ve been around the 789 but have yet to have heard it. Just from what I’ve heard the 789 is more on the bright side and the Cavalli has a bit of warmth that appeals to me more. All the Cavalli amps I’ve heard which is most just is so good with planars.

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #14 of 14
I’ve been around the 789 but have yet to have heard it. Just from what I’ve heard the 789 is more on the bright side and the Cavalli has a bit of warmth that appeals to me more. All the Cavalli amps I’ve heard which is most just is so good with planars.
Yeah, I don't have any planars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back