Should I upgrade my amp/DAC combo for the HiFiMan Ananda?
Feb 28, 2021 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

razminr11

New Head-Fier
I've got a pair of Anandas as an upgrade from my OG HE-400 (which sadly broke its headband, now hanging on with some superglue), and my current amp/DAC combo is a Fiio E17. Is there anything I can get for around $200-$400 that would be a significant upgrade from the E17?

Currently, I'm considering:

-JDS Labs Element II (b-stock to get the $50 off savings).

-Schiit Magni Heresy/Modi 3+ stack (I love the look of the Schiit stack, but I've heard some bad things about their QC relative to other options, such as headphones being blown out/damaged by the Magni 3+/Heresy.).

-JDS Labs Atom stack.

-Schiit Magnius/Modius stack.

-A Topping Amp/DAC stack (I'm not a big fan of the looks of the Topping Amps/DACs though, unfortunately).

-Liquid Spark amp plus another DAC (or using my E17 as a DAC).

-iFi Zen DAC and Zen CAN.

-A new amp with my E17 serving as the DAC.

-Anything you guys suggest that'd work well with the Anandas, and be an upgrade over my Fiio E17.

-Or just keeping the E17 and saving up for a higher-end/more expensive stack.

Ideally, I'd like to get a stack instead of a combo, cuz I eventually want to venture into the world of tube amps. Plus, adding a hardware EQ like the Loki would be easier with a separate Amp and DAC.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 8
Feb 28, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 8
The Schiit Modius/Magnius stack is hard to beat for $400 all in. Impossible to beat IMO.

Mar 8, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #4 of 8
I wouldn’t worry too much about powering them, rather focus on a clean noise floor. They are super easy to drive, and the Fiio would power them just fine. I don’t know how they are in terms of background. I have an Elac ea101eq amp with a headphone out that is a little on the noisy side, so much so that if I connect my as-easy-to-power Sivga Phoenix, I can hear a hiss. I’m waiting on my Ananda to arrive but I suspect a similar thing will happen.

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #6 of 8
Get either the Modi/Magni, Atom or Topping stack and stop worrying and enjoy the music. You will have plenty of power and a great sounding setup. Great sounding: clean, transparent.

You would have a hard time trying to distinguish between either if blindtesting. Most perceived differences can often be attributed to expected sound quality differences aka placebo.

Mar 8, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #7 of 8
I actually ended up ordering a Magni 3+/Modi stack! I went with the original silver instead of the black/red of the Heresy cuz some day down the line I'd like to get a Vali to try out tubes, so best to get a matching stack from the get-go. But thanks for all the advice!

Mar 8, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #8 of 8
If you go balanced all thew way yes.
Multiple people report that the SE output of the Magnius is not topnotch.
Oh most definitely. But I wouldn’t buy that stack without running it full balanced. And honestly I think the SE on it is fine, it just doesn’t measure as well as the balanced out on paper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back