Should I upgrade from SR80s to SR325is?
Sep 25, 2009 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Bradrj1029

100+ Head-Fier
Well I trust grado sound. I am quite sure I would be dissapointed by upgrading to the sr325is for a more... long term use. I have only had my SR80's for a year now and the cable is starting the split. i can get that fixed.. But Is there a significant difference in the sound and bass of the 325is and the sr80s? I dont want to buy them if there isnt a significant change in sound and all that. I want some headphones that sound better overall. Thanks

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #2 of 19
I had the original SR80's from a decade ago and recently bought the 325is. Is it wildly different? Not too much but there is a definite increase in refinement and a overall sound improvement (punchier bass, smoother sound)- definitely. I sold the SR80's the next day.
Work a deal with 6ave.com or JR.com, or get them used here on HF- NEVER pay retail!

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #3 of 19
Save a few more dollars and aim for the RS1 (or HF-2 if you can find one). You will save in the long run seeing that the 325 will just wet your appetite for more, and you will get there eventually. I went through Sr 60, Sr125, SR225 and have now found the Grado sweet spot with my HF-2;s and can't see myself going any higher. (ya right)

Sep 25, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #4 of 19
charlie, I think we both know where that is going, dont we ?
evil_smiley.gif

Personally, I still lust after the GS-1000 : lets not kid ourselves that buying the 325/MS2/MS1 etc will sate your upgraditis. The only real hope is to start concentrating on other things, like DACs and amps - the really expensive kit that you will never be able to afford anyway. Read magazines, type long posts on Head-Fi, but dont buy more headphones. Better yet, try running marathons - even if you are hopeless at it, you will be way too tired at night to think about headphones. Its not too late - you can still get out with your wallet !

Hope this helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #5 of 19
I see RS1i as a direct upgrade from SR80 but not sure about GS1000. It sounds very different from other grado IMO

If you like SR80, I'd say go for RS1 or maybe HF2(never heard HF2 though)

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #6 of 19
Apologies DC5zilla - mixing my Allesandro model names with Grado and coming up with the 'MS1' when I clearly meant 'RS1'. Long day.

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Save a few more dollars and aim for the RS1 (or HF-2 if you can find one). You will save in the long run seeing that the 325 will just wet your appetite for more, and you will get there eventually. I went through Sr 60, Sr125, SR225 and have now found the Grado sweet spot with my HF-2;s and can't see myself going any higher. (ya right)

Totally agreed...I jumped from the SR125 to SR325is and it was a matter of months until I jumped to the RS1s. And now 6 months later I have never looked back.

BTW, I found the SR325is headphones to shrill sounding on the high end and no where as refined as the RS1s.

If you can't wait and want to upgrade, I would recommend the SR225s.

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #8 of 19
I say jumping to the 325i is a good move. I found them a vast improvement from the SR80s in all areas except comfort, which was a given as the cans weigh quite a bit for such small chunks of aluminum alloy. I got used to 'em.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Totally agreed...I jumped from the SR125 to SR325is and it was a matter of months until I jumped to the RS1s. And now 6 months later I have never looked back.

BTW, I found the SR325is headphones to shrill sounding on the high end and no where as refined as the RS1s.

If you can't wait and want to upgrade, I would recommend the SR225s.

the 325is's aren't as shrill as the outgoing 325i goldies, i found. i liked the older sound a little more, but with some of the older rock tunes it did pierce a little more than i suppose it should have.

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #10 of 19
Just get something you can stick to. If you can find the SR80's good sounding, I don't see why you'd want to upgrade, like you said, you can fix the split cable.

I got the MS-1i's, and I don't feel any of this 'upgraditis' people are referring to. I am perfectly content and see myself listening to these headphones for years before even considering an upgrade.

Thinking about how this or that sounds will only give you what is called 'upgraditis' and then you'll be broke.

Sep 26, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #11 of 19
I find its a good move to go from SR80 to Sr325. Lots of improvement you will see.

SR80 to Sr225 is only marginally improvement and may not be worth it. However, RS1 is indeed something to save for
smile.gif
If you can save for a bit longer.. PS1000 may end your upgrade journey
tongue.gif

Sep 26, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adreneline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thinking about how this or that sounds will only give you what is called 'upgraditis' and then you'll be broke.

Agree 100% - the brightest folk are those who posted once, got a recommendation and never came back. I listened to one of the cruddiest headphones Sennheiser ever made for many years, and really couldnt have cared less, but then I realised that onboard sound into crap headphones can be greatly improved on, and that is where it starts. That said , I would never buy the GS1000 without hearing a pair first, preferably from good kit : with mid-range phones, you can take a gamble, but anything in that price range is really a bridge too far for most of us.

Still, I dont see it as being any worse than people who have the base model VW aspiring to a top shelf Audi - both will get you from A to B, but some want to improve the quality of that experience. Also consider most headphones to be a screaming bargain compared to the cost of comparable speakers - that is an area where upgraditis could *really* empty your wallet.
tongue.gif

Sep 26, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #13 of 19
sr80 to 325iS is similar to ms1 to ms2i as per my experience.. as per my taste it is worth the upgrade as i like rock/pop/new wave and other fast attacking notes... better bass (amount and control) and added details on mids and highs... btw, you may want to improve on source too.. i listen through lossless files but i am starting to listen from my CD player.. will also try my analog side as source one of these days when i am in the mood
icon10.gif

Sep 27, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #14 of 19
I think I'll just upgrade to 325is

I can't really see myself paying 700 for headphones
frown.gif

And I think 325is will be good enough for my pair of headphones for a couple years. I don't even know if I will upgrade them at all.

Sep 27, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #15 of 19
i have MS2i's and have no desire to upgrade.

if i can get a pair of HF2's i will, but i wont go any higher than that.

sure, id love a pair of PS1000's, but im in no place financially to drop that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back