Should I upgrade DAC?
Oct 26, 2007 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jesselussier

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

So I've recently been getting more into this audio hobby. It's hard cause there aren't a lot of places for me to try any high end audio equipment, so I've found myself purchasing equipment with the idea that I can just sell it here if I find I don't need it / don't like it. Anyways, here's my list of equipment that I'm testing out and may consider selling:

HP's:
AKG K340
Sennheiser HD600

Amp's:
ASL MG-Head OTL Mark (will arrive today hopefully)

For a source I've been running my H140 through the ibasso using an optical cable (I have all my cd's ripped to lossless).

My question is should I consider upgrading my ibasso or simply purchase some other DAC? If I did buy another DAC I'd like to get one with a toslink connector so I could keep using my H140 and run that throught the ASL MG-Head, any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Oct 27, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 6
I think the reviews thus far on the D1 are pretty flawless as I remember. I run from an Iriver as well. What the heck could you upgrade to?

I might ask myself if I was upgrading speaker wire from 12ga, to garden hose size solid silver speaker cable giving me bragging rights but no increase in aural quality. IMO of course.

Theres virtually nothing available that takes optical in, in a portable DAC anymore or certainly nothing in that price range that I can find.

Oct 27, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #3 of 6
Do you want/need a portable setup or home setup? Home amps and DACs are generally better than their portable counterparts.

Oct 27, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #4 of 6
Amps maybe, DAC's? From what I have read, no.

I have the feeling much beyond this the law of diminishing returns hits big time.

IMO once again.

In your position I would throw money at other items in the chain before I would in the DAC end.

IMO once again. That's what I would do.

Oct 27, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #5 of 6
It really depends on how much is your budget and the amount your willing to spend. I have both the D1 and a standalone DAC (Benchmark DAC1) and although the D1 has a decent sound compared to DAPs and even some component cd players, it's certainly not on par to the DAC1 as far as SQ. But that's just me and what sounds good to me might be for you.

So my recommendation is if you're happy with the D1 + ASL and you're satisfied with the sound signature, then look no further. You have 2 nice dynamic phones and I think your amp will do them justice.

Oct 28, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks everyone. I'm happy with my phones and amp, so I thought the next logical step would be to upgrade the source for my home setup. The D1 is the highest quality DAC I've heard, so I'm just curious as to how much of a difference a midrange DAC would make. By "midrange" I guess I mean something around $200. I'm just trying to learn as much as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back