Should I upgrade DAC Since I am buying the Audio Technica HA5000
May 7, 2015 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Monahans67

100+ Head-Fier
I presently have the Schiit Modi 2 going through the Schiit Magni 2.  I just purchased the Audio Technica W5000 headphones and am going to order the Audio Technica HA 5000 next month to complete my setup.  I guess I am wondering what people think of using the Modi 2 as the USB DAC or should I be also looking up upgrade the DAC to something different for compatability issues.  I realize I can just wait and try the Modi 2 but if there is a real concesus that I should upgrade I would like to have recommendations from some of the people here as to what should I look for.  I sent an email to Schiit and the only thing they said was that they were not familiar with the W5000 and they had no idea except it should work fine.

Just looking to get some ideas from some of the people who may have the HA5000 and W5000 combo since they have already been through this probably.

May 8, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 3
I would not "upgrade" unless you are able to do a comparison.  How else will you know that it actually improves your setup to your liking.

May 8, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks NA Blur.  Yeah you are right and that is certainly the best way to determine the effect of the DAC on the whole system.  Unfortunately out here is West Texas there isn't any "Meets" to get to see and hear alot of other equipment.  Guess I could look for meets in Dallas, San Antonio or El Paso and take my stuff there and maybe try some other DACS.  So far I have the M50's, M50xLE and the ESW9. Just got the W5000 and even with the Schiit Magni 2 and Modi 2 they sound pretty darrn good. I am sure you know that we are always after that next step.  I know the HA5000 will probably make a difference for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back