Should I up sampling the bit rate from FLAC to AIFF?
Jan 10, 2012 at 6:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

leinikca

New Head-Fier
I used Max and PureMusic to convert FLAC to AIFF / Applesslossless and the result were:
_Max: the AIFF files size were way bigger than the original FLAC. They were converted at 1411kps.
_PureMusuc: the Applelossless files size were somehow equal with the original FLAC. They were converted at variation bit rate (should be the intended recording-original)

So, my question is that which method should i choose? Which once will give the best sonic quality? File size doesn't matter! I think the problem is the BIT RATE right? Up sample or stay with the original?

Thank you.

Jan 10, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #4 of 11
I meant keep the files in FLAC format. It is lossless, and does not change the sound quality, just like compressing the files with zip, rar, 7-zip, or other data compression software does not affect the quality either.

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #6 of 11
Well, that is different, if you want to stick with iTunes, then use whatever format it supports. But as long as the format is lossless, the quality should not change, unless the data is corrupted by buggy software (unlikely).

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #7 of 11
FLAC is lossless compression and ALAC is lossless compression too.
Converting from one to the other should yield likewise files size.
As the amount of compression varies with the complexity of the signal, both are VBR by design.

AIFF is uncompressed lossless. Expect it to be up to about the double size compared with FLAC/ALAC.
As they are all lossless formats, converting should yield bit identical results on playback.
There are tricks to play FLAC in itunes
http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/06/12/how-to-play-flac-files-in-itunes/

Jan 10, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #10 of 11
If you're using iTunes on the Mac, there's a nifty little program called Fluke for Mac that tricks your iTunes into thinking FLAC files are actually Quicktime files when you import them into your library.

Read this page to see if it'll work for you: http://code.google.com/p/flukeformac/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back