Should I try Grados?
Aug 28, 2003 at 6:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

averydonovan

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for something different for my sound setup. I was thinking of building, or possibly buying, a new amp but I don't think it will make as dramatic of a difference as I am looking for. I am looking for a more exciting sound, and from the many months I have been here Grados seem to be the way to go for that. I prefer closed cans, but I doubt it gets much better than my DT770's so I'll just have to put up with some ambient noise. I like a reasonable amount of treble, not shrill treble, but smooth, and a good amount of bass also. The boomy bass that plagues the various Koss "titanium" cans are not it, though. Comfort concerns me a bit. My ears are small to medium sized, but they do stick out a little bit (not Ross Perot, but not flat against my head either). I have an amp, a notch below many of the AD8620-powered MINT amps that are becoming more common here, so powering them isn't a problem. I just want more energy out of my music sometimes, and while my DT770's aren't laid back they don't exactly have tons of energy either. The SR60 are in my price range, but I'd consider the SR80 or Alessandro MS1 if they are that significant of an improvement. So, should I go Grado?

Aug 28, 2003 at 6:30 AM Post #3 of 20
short answer, yes.

long answer, pro4aats aren't boomy dammit. ...ok, i'm calm. breathe goose. breathe...

Aug 28, 2003 at 6:42 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
short answer, yes.

long answer, pro4aats aren't boomy dammit. ...ok, i'm calm. breathe goose. breathe...

You're right, they aren't. In fact, you can hardly even notice the bass (think Pro3AA thread)
wink.gif
tongue.gif

So, these are some conflicting answers...keep 'em coming
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2003 at 8:01 AM Post #7 of 20
Some like them, some don't. Also specific likes and dislikes are too sweeping to apply across the entire range. Grato doesn't go for the entire lineup for example. I like and dislike various Grados individually...

I say try them (The SR80). They're always popular anyway so even if you don't like them they are easy to resell without a hideous loss.

Aug 28, 2003 at 8:17 AM Post #8 of 20
Edit -- deleted, I'm going to bed... too tired to formulate an intelligent reply (sorry, too many edits).

Aug 28, 2003 at 8:39 AM Post #10 of 20
I went through quite a few headphones (Sennheiser, AKG, Sony & Audio Technica) before I put my prejudices to one side (didn't like the look of Grados and comments about comfort) and actually tried a pair of Grados (SR325) and for me they make the music and performance come alive in my head. I can't really judge things like tonal accuracy or timing but I know that if you want your music to have energy and to be able to feel something of the performer behind the instrument as they are playing it then the Grados are the best I have tried for that.
Regards,
nashi

Aug 28, 2003 at 10:43 AM Post #11 of 20
donovansmith: A Grado can't harm in a good headphone collection, though I'm not a big fan myself (problems with comfort (fit) and handling (stiff cable & rotating earpieces) - and too shrill sound on the lower models). Apart from the fair price (at least in the US), going for the SR60 might be a good idea, as it should come with the comparatively comfy earpads, which also dampen the excessive highs a bit. On the other hand: Maybe you'd need just a more neutral headphone other than the DT770Pro/250 with its overpowering bass - for example the DT250/250 or maybe an AKG K271S. And another place to search for the lack of excitement could be your source equipment...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Aug 28, 2003 at 10:52 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by donovansmith
I prefer closed cans

I believe if you won't use them outside all the time, the Grados will be fine. They're so open.
Quote:

I like a reasonable amount of treble, not shrill treble

Hmmm, the SR225 would be your best bet. They're the most forgiving Gratos and is the closest to the HP-1's neutrality.
Quote:

but smooth, and a good amount of bass also. The boomy bass that plagues the various Koss "titanium" cans are not it, though.

Stay away from the SR325. The bass overwhelms the rest of the spectrum unless you want your music with the "hip-hop" feel. And unless you have a bright source.
Quote:

Comfort concerns me a bit. My ears are small to medium sized, but they do stick out a little bit (not Ross Perot, but not flat against my head either).

Ouch!!!!!! Good luck!!!
basshead.gif
To most heads and ears, long time usage with Grados could be uncomfortable. Try to get Vwap pads or the ones from Sennheiser. But a few people lucky enough to have the right head size and hard(?) ears has no problem with the Grado discomfort.
Quote:

I just want more energy out of my music sometimes, and while my DT770's aren't laid back they don't exactly have tons of energy either.

eek.gif
That statement screams SR325. Now I'm confused myself.
tongue.gif

I believe your mint is not enough for those Beyers to give justice. Just keep those phones and you'll be surprise where its hidden "energy" came from when you get your good amp in the future.
Quote:

The SR60 are in my price range, but I'd consider the SR80

Those are the gratiest of all Gratos. Earbleed!!! You're gonna need your amp, replace the pads and a non bright source.
From the DT770 to an SR60/80?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

But who knows, try to audition em if you can. Good luck!!!

Edit: I second Manfred with the AKG K271S suggestion.

Aug 28, 2003 at 1:27 PM Post #13 of 20
From what you're saying, it sounds as if you're a candidate for the grado sr-325s. However, don't pull the trigger. I'm guessing that the rest of you system (amp, source) is simply not up to drive the d770s to their best. Consider upgrading other parts of your system instead.

Aug 28, 2003 at 2:49 PM Post #14 of 20
Due alone to the very *different* sound that Grado's have compared to other open phones (excuse me, my vocabulary is limited) I would whole heartedly suggest them. In my own personal experience of auditioning, and from your qualifications, I'd pick up a set of 125's or 225's. I hear a big step 'up' from the 80's to the 125's. If you buy the 225's and don't like 'em. I'll buy 'em from you
biggrin.gif

Bests

Aug 28, 2003 at 3:29 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by lini
donovansmith: A Grado can't harm in a good headphone collection, though I'm not a big fan myself (problems with comfort (fit) and handling (stiff cable & rotating earpieces) - and too shrill sound on the lower models). Apart from the fair price (at least in the US), going for the SR60 might be a good idea, as it should come with the comparatively comfy earpads, which also dampen the excessive highs a bit. On the other hand: Maybe you'd need just a more neutral headphone other than the DT770Pro/250 with its overpowering bass - for example the DT250/250 or maybe an AKG K271S. And another place to search for the lack of excitement could be your source equipment...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually don't find the DT770's bass overpowering at all, yet I do find the Koss low-end "titanium" (e.g. KSC-50, KTX-Pro) headphone's bass to be overpowering. And I know at least my Sony D-14 is definately laid back, and my computer sound card isn't much better (and I need an upgrade to my computer sound card anyway).

Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
From what you're saying, it sounds as if you're a candidate for the grado sr-325s. However, don't pull the trigger. I'm guessing that the rest of you system (amp, source) is simply not up to drive the d770s to their best. Consider upgrading other parts of your system instead.

I know my system isn't exactly spectacular, but I don't have many hundreds of dollars to spend though. And given how most of music collection is on my PC, or regular CDs, a computer sound card upgrade and/or new CD player are possibilities. My amp could probably use an upgrade, although I'm not sure that it will make a huge difference, more of a subtle one but it's worth a shot. Maybe a move from what I have to a META42 might help.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It seems I should look into my source and amps before upgrading my headphones...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back