Should I throw in the towel on my e4's?
May 8, 2008 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Ajwf

New Head-Fier
Hey there everyone. I own a pair of e4's that ive had for about a year now. I dont know what to really think of them at the moment. the build quality on my first pair were not very good, and I had parts of the headphone coming loose. Then they went out on me. I got a new pair from shure through their warranty, and i was quite happy. For the sound, I dont feel as if they have enough "oomph" for me. Its not lively enough for my tastes, and I find that bass is lacking. Now my new pair, which I only recieved 4 months ago is having problems..I think im gonna send them back and when i get the new package, resell them cause I'm kind of sick of having to replacing them.

I have 3 in mind, the grado sr225s and the UE triple.fi 5, or the super freqs. What do you think in terms of sound quality? Build quality? I'm into a large range of music, from hip hop, to rock and punk. I really would like some quality bass, cause I found that the e4's were lacking, even though they were supposed to be better in terms of bass than the e3s.

May 9, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 11
I have the exact same problem. I've returned 2 pairs of E4c in a year, due to the cord breaking. Im very unhappy with the bass too. I've tried UE triple.fi 5, they sound great but i find them very uncomfortable, maybe just me.

May 10, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #5 of 11
Same problem with the cord going bad on my first pair (cracking of cord-earphone sleeve that led to shorting problems). But Shure replaced under warranty and second pair going strong (great workout IEMs). Have you tried the black olive foamies? I agree about the anemic bass, but I use MP3Gain and R'n'B EQ preset on my iPod 5.5G to help alleviate... sounds great to my ears.

May 10, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give the super fi's a try. They will definitely scratch the itch as far as bass goes, but they are notorious for their comfort issues. The flip flop mod cures this for most people though

For me (but thats a personal opinion) the super.fi 5 are way more comfortable then any shure's i tryed. And yes i wear them in flip mode
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

so nobody likes the grados eh? oh by the way what is the flip flop mod?

Flip flop mod is afaik wearint the left in ur right ear and vica versa.

video_superfi_mod_003.jpg

May 10, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #7 of 11
If you like the shure 4, I'd guess you might like the etymotic or ultimate ears. The etymotics are also light on the bass for some people. They also go in deeper into your ear than any iem. As a coworker puts it, he feels violated. The UE11 is the hot item today, but it's custom only and pricey. Obviously, you like one of their models.

I'm curious why you're considering either an IEM or a grado. If you're okay with a full-sized open can, you have so many good options without violating your personal inner space. If you need the IEM, for portability or isolation, the grado shouldn't be on your list. Maybe you really want two headphones, and just need to start with one. You're better off being clear about your needs and not mixing up two different things. It only leads to compromise, which in the long run is more expensive and will make you less happy.

Wish I could comment on build quality, since that's a concern for you. I know the etymotics are good. I've tangled and mangled them in over stuffed bags, dropped and dragged them halfway across Manhattan, even dropped them in puddles twice, and stepped on them a few times over the past 3 years now without harming them at all. While I doubt many (any?) other iem would stand up to all that--it's partly because of their small barrel shape and use of softer plastic--I don't belive build quality is a big issue with IEMs in general. It's probably specific to this model or company. I've seen one other lower end shure get a little ragged. On the other hand, you do need to be gentle with grados.

As for sound quality, listen for yourself before you commit. Not saying you shouldn't ask the question. Trust, but verify.

May 10, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #8 of 11
went from a E4 to a Sleek SA6 and never looked back.

I loved the detail on the E4, but the bass was just to light. Now that i have my 650s, if i kept my E4 it would only sound thin and lifeless compared.

The SA6 lets you change the sound to your liking. Its not as detail, its certainly not as bright, but it has much better low end performance. I find the sound less harsh, you can enjoy the music longer since its a smoother sound.

May 11, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #10 of 11
I hear good things about the grados. I chose IEMS because of the sound isolation they offer, but I do not mind hearing background noise at times. A classmate of mine told me if im in the market for iems, he told me his freqs are one of a kind. Since grados are a lil less rugged, ill take that one out of the possible list. Im not sure if i should get either livewires or freqs, any suggestions?

May 11, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #11 of 11
I have found that with my ER-4P, using the foam tips greatly enhances the bass. I was using the Shure olives, but due to the long shape of the ER-4P, the medium olives don't give a good seal as they did when I used them with the ER-6i. And the large olives are too big and make my ears feel "stuffed."

The stock ER-4 foams are also quite a bit cheaper than olives but you do use them faster since I haven't found a way to clean them without ruining them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back