Should I switch from Ultrasone HFI 700 to ATH A900???
Oct 27, 2006 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

loudwood

Head-Fier
I was looking for unamped closed cans around $200.
I got my Ultrasone 700 about three days ago.
The sound is pretty good and the sound stage is nice.
However there are several things not so nice about it:
1 The bass is strong but not clean. I feel ultrasone folks
boost the low bass quite a bit. But the mid is a bit recessed.
Hence the overall effect is not very enjoyable.
2 Tremble is too much. My favorite songs even sound better
on Koss PortaPro sometimes. Operas become unbearable quite
often.
frown.gif

3 It is also VERY tight initially. Now it feels better, but
still not very comfortable.

Should I switch to A900? I feel Ultrasone 700 is not
a forgiving can. I.e. if you have good source, it sounds good.
But in daily use, maybe A900 will shine better and also
it seems to be less pressing.

Anyway I hope musicianfriend.com honor their 45 days
return policy. I can't wait to try A900.

Oct 27, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 5
I had a chance to listen to the
Ultrasonne Proline 650, and they were pretty good, I however have not heard the HFI 700 but from what i have read they are more bassy and bloated (unnatural bass) than the HFI-650 OR the Proline 650, I own the AT - ATH-A900LTD and love them. From what i hear the step down (A900) is not all that different, except they have a slightly larger soundstage and are more accurate but TBH it probably isnt that big of a difference, again from what i have read. The static discharge you may have heard about with the AXX is very real as i have exerienced it many times when my laptop is connected to the poor grounds we have at school.

best of luck on youre headphone search

PS the A900LTDs can be revealing at times, however I feel this is the way they should be as they are distoring the sound as little as possible.

Oct 27, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #3 of 5
I feel the bass is not bloated. It is simply not balanced. HD580 has very strong bass. And I don't have problem with them.
Actually they sound very good on classic jazz albums, or oldies like Carpenters. But put in "Hayley Westenra - Oddessy", the female voice is a bit thin. Put in any album with very strong string bass, you feel a bit flat then. I guess I just have several albums it does not handle well.
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadiandude
I had a chance to listen to the
Ultrasonne Proline 650, and they were pretty good, I however have not heard the HFI 700 but from what i have read they are more bassy and bloated (unnatural bass) than the HFI-650 OR the Proline 650, I own the AT - ATH-A900LTD and love them. From what i hear the step down (A900) is not all that different, except they have a slightly larger soundstage and are more accurate but TBH it probably isnt that big of a difference, again from what i have read. The static discharge you may have heard about with the AXX is very real as i have exerienced it many times when my laptop is connected to the poor grounds we have at school.

best of luck on youre headphone search

PS the A900LTDs can be revealing at times, however I feel this is the way they should be as they are distoring the sound as little as possible.

Oct 27, 2006 at 8:26 AM Post #5 of 5
I switched from DT 880 new edition to the Audio Technica ATH-A900 and WOW !!! I'm in love
biggrin.gif
The soundstage is very impressive, and the comfort of the cans are immense
smily_headphones1.gif

My tip --> Go to www.audiocubes.com and order them right now
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back