Should I stick with DT770s or get something different
Dec 27, 2008 at 7:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Drength

New Head-Fier
Last summer I got a pair of DT770/80 Pros, and since have learned to love them, especially for their noise isolation. Just a couple of weeks ago I got a wonderful Christmas present, a small house fire that, among other things, ruined my headphones. While I am tempted to just replace them with another pair of the same, I can't think of a much better excuse to get a better pair. So the real question is: Can I do much better with 250 USD? Or should I just stick with the 770.

Dec 27, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #3 of 10
I was reading "Just a couple of weeks ago I got a wonderful Christmas present..." and I thought to myself: awwww someone got him a new set of cans :] and then I read on and realized it was pretty much the complete opposite.

First of all, I'm sorry for your loss! It's too bad that you lost such a fine piece of equipment. I think that everyone should have a set of dt770pros in their collection because of its many applications. You need to ask yourself if you want to stick with what you know and what worked for you in the past or if you want to try something new.

Why would be your applications for your new cans?

Dec 27, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the quick replys.

I mostly used them on the headphone jack of a hand-me-down Lexicon Omega that I connect to my computer's onboard audio via coaxial S/PDIF. I know it is probably a wast of I/O ports, just using it as a DAC, but it sounds nice and it is always hard to argue with free.

As for what I used them for, its mostly been music (rock/techno & sometimes a little classical thrown in) and video games.

Dec 27, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 10
You could try something similar yet different, like the DT990. It should have many of the same qualities of the DT770 except that it is an open can. You did say you liked the isolation though...

You might try a newer pair of consumer version 250ohm DT770's if you want something that is "new" yet also the same.

Dec 27, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by melomaniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the general head-fi response ought to be: keep it AND get another one

Agreed!--*edit* just reread this and i think melomaniac means replace it and get another one .'D

I think that the D2000s might be a really good change of pace. Something different but not too different. I found the Pros and the consumer edition Dt770s to be rather different. The consumer edition was far more bass lean and a bit more analytical imo.

Dec 29, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for the help. I think I will stick with the 770s and put the rest toward the buy me an amp fund.
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #10 of 10
X2X2X2 on the Denons. I went form the 990's to the HD650's, to the Denon 5000's and the one word that I could choose to describe the Denons would be " Creamy". IMHO a cross between the Beyers and the Senns. and I hear the baby brother AHD2000's are almost as good as the big brother 5000's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back