Should I start with the SL-1200MK2?
Aug 1, 2008 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

guyx1992

500+ Head-Fier
I am quite fascinated with the whole analog world and especially with the whole "vinyl experience". I got a bunch of records from my grandpa.
I want to buy a record player. I know that the SL-1200 is quite good and I found it at sale for 350$. Should I start with it?

Are there any other players that are cheap[er] and have decent SQ?

Thanks

Aug 1, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #2 of 9
Where I come from they say that the start of an excellent day begins with a good breakfast. The SL1200 is the equivalent of an excellent breakfast if you want to start your first steps into the analogue world in good fashion.

Of course you could keep on looking for something cheaper that might show up, but it all depends on your level of good fortune and patience whether you'll succeed that way. I spent several years looking for a decent Kenwood L07D, only to discover that so were a lot of other folks. Luckily the SL1200 is far cheaper, but in no way inferior sound wise.

So, if you have the money and you can afford to spend all of the $350 on the turntable, go and check it out. Make sure it is OK. Try to find a few marks here or there. i.e. barter and see if you can get it for $300. If you do get it, then the fun selecting a cartridge that you like the sound of is the next thing to worry about.

Good luck
happy_face1.gif

Stan

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am quite fascinated with the whole analog world and especially with the whole "vinyl experience". I got a bunch of records from my grandpa.
I want to buy a record player. I know that the SL-1200 is quite good and I found it at sale for 350$. Should I start with it?

Are there any other players that are cheap[er] and have decent SQ?

Thanks

$350 is a good price for the Technics. This table is a no brainer for anyone wanting a new table less than $500 and beyond and it is very easy to set-up for some one new to vinyl. You can probable find a cheaper turntable with good sound quality if you go used though. You will also need a cartridge because it comes without one.

Aug 16, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by 19lexicon78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
forget the technics.
just go for an emt
or that denon dp-100
no need for upgrading or tweaking anymore.
saves you money
wink.gif

Those were some extremely nice turntables but are sadly no more. Any one who could acquire one of the above for any reasonable deal is very lucky. The Technics 1200 MKII has run those tables and others off the market so I guess we are fortunate that it is still available at very reasonable prices.

Aug 17, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #9 of 9
That's a good price and a good table that you can enjoy as-is, or modify/upgrade later if you want. If it's in good shape you may also be able to sell it later and get all of your money back at that price.

I recently ordered an mKII from KABUSA with a whole bunch of modifications that are supposed to improve sound quality. It can be fun hunting vintage belt drive tables but when they break it's a pain. I've got 3 broken down e-bay specials at the moment. I'm done with that and decided to spend a little cash on something that will last me awhile assuming I like the sound.

What kind of shape is the table in? What kind of cartridge (if any) does it have? Have you tested it? (all questions that may help determine value of table and whether it's really a good choice for you).

Enjoy! Getting into vinyl doesn't have to cost a fortune, but it's a "slippery slope" and I'm starting to slide....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back