Should I sell my DT 990s? Reaaaaally tough choice here.
Jul 27, 2007 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

EsthetiX

1000+ Head-Fier
I LOVE my DT 990s. They 250 2005 version. Lately I think I have been using my RP-21s and my portables more often though. I would really like to hang onto the 990's.

They're immaculate with box, papers, original big leather case, and all and I intend to keep em that way as long as I own them.

I think the main thing entering the equation right now is, if I keep them for a while longer maybe 6 months of so, do you think I'll be able to get just as much money for them as I would get today (assuming im selling on ebay, not head-fi)?

Jul 27, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 10
If Beyer doesn't release a newer version of the 990s (I don't think so) then you should get the same money even in a few months.

But don't forget: There are many people who have sold their 990s and then regret their decission afterwards. Make your choice, but do it wisely.
wink.gif

Edit: Why not selling them on Head-Fi?

Jul 27, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 10
If you love them, keep them. Get rid of something else. I see you are selling the RP-21, so what are you going to use after getting rid of the RP-21 *and* DT-990? Stepping up to something more eclectic and less main stream?

I think the DT-990 is absolutely awesome, despite it's shortcomings. I don't think I can ever get rid of mine, no matter how many headphones I get.

Jul 27, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 10
the little amount of money you lose from keeping them will not amount to the amount of you missing them if they are sold

Jul 27, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 10
Like my Spendor S100 loudspeakers, the Beyer DT990s are ones I return to for their warm, rich sound. I have AKG501ks, and I've grown to enjoy them equally, but the Beyers are very forgiving and that means a lot regarding source, both software and hardware.

In other words, I'd keep them. I would not worry about their losing the curb appeal and value. They are classics.

Jul 27, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #8 of 10
Only if you sell the 990s now, will you lose money on them. The longer you keep 'em in "as new" condition, using them any time you choose, then if you decide to sell them at least you got more use out of them. They won't depreciate any more than they have already, and in fact replacement cost may be higher soon with the changing exchange rate taken into consideration.... IMO

Great set of cans that scale up very well indeed!
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #9 of 10
If you are selling them, 2 months from now you'll have no money and no headphones. If you are keeping them, 2 months from now you still don't have any money but at least you still have the headphones. I learned this from my own experience. I sold couple of my headphones and headphone amps because I have too many of them and they were not being used eventhough I didn't need the money at the time. 2 months later they are gone I didn't know where the money went.

Jul 27, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #10 of 10
Alright FINE! You guys have convinced me. They're staying! haha. I do love them, I've just been using the portables much more often. I've been so happy with my ES7's and Rp-21's!

To the guy who mentioned about me selling the RP-21's, I have more than one pair. That's the only reason why. I'd never be RP-21'less!
smily_headphones1.gif
(they don't need an amp to sound great).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back