Should I sell my Beats Pro for AKG701?
Feb 28, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #16 of 31

Quote:
I really like my Beyerdynamics (I own 3), but you really should have some sort of a headphone amplifier to use with them, brings out their best.
What source(s) are you using?

Well I'm novice,  Most of the time I will be using my IPod around the house (my music is at ball park 1,411 kbs apple loss) I was also thinking about buying the Fiio 11. Unless there is better portable amps for that price?

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #17 of 31

Quote:
Well I'm novice,  Most of the time I will be using my IPod around the house (my music is at ball park 1,411 kbs apple loss) I was also thinking about buying the Fiio 11. Unless there is better portable amps for that price?

I've never used the Fiio E11, but I did just ordered a Fiio E11 about 5 hours ago, should arrive in a few days.
I do not see any E11 owners regretting to having gotten the E11.
I really have no need for the E11, but I want to compare it to my Xonar Essence STX and all my headphones.

iPods seem to do a decent job of powering headphones. so we are getting into a gray area for using the Beyerdynamics.
The Beyerdynamic DT770 Premium 32-Ohm appears to be an easy headphone to power because it is listed as 32-Ohm.
But in reality is just as hard to power as the 80 (Pro) and 250 (Pro & premium) versions.
You can get the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250-Ohm and the Fiio E11 for the price of what you would pay for the Premium 32-Ohm.
If you get the Fiio E11, also get one of their L cables, it plugs the E11 into the iPods LOD port, cleaner signal.

Feb 28, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #18 of 31

Quote:
I've never used the Fiio E11, but I did just ordered a Fiio E11 about 5 hours ago, should arrive in a few days.
I do not see any E11 owners regretting to having gotten the E11.
I really have no need for the E11, but I want to compare it to my Xonar Essence STX and all my headphones.

iPods seem to do a decent job of powering headphones. so we are getting into a gray area for using the Beyerdynamics.
The Beyerdynamic DT770 Premium 32-Ohm appears to be an easy headphone to power because it is listed as 32-Ohm.
But in reality is just as hard to power as the 80 (Pro) and 250 (Pro & premium) versions.
You can get the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250-Ohm and the Fiio E11 for the price of what you would pay for the Premium 32-Ohm.
If you get the Fiio E11, also get one of their L cables, it plugs the E11 into the iPods LOD port, cleaner signal.

Thanks for the advice! yeah Please tell my how the Fiio E11 sound with your Beyerdynamic! I want to know if that's a good portable amp I still have a good two weeks before my friend can come up with the money. Aside from Hard/Classic rock I also like listening to J-POP mostly K-ON! which is a band in a anime, I fond a forum --> http://www.head-fi.org/t/508234/k-on-and-j-music-disscussions
and they recommended Grados (I'm not sure which model) because I love listening to K-ON!! aside from my other music The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, orchestra/band music. 

Feb 28, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #19 of 31

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! yeah Please tell my how the Fiio E11 sound with your Beyerdynamic! I want to know if that's a good portable amp I still have a good two weeks before my friend can come up with the money. Aside from Hard/Classic rock I also like listening to J-POP mostly K-ON! which is a band in a anime, I fond a forum --> http://www.head-fi.org/t/508234/k-on-and-j-music-disscussions
and they recommended Grados (I'm not sure which model) because I love listening to K-ON!! aside from my other music The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, orchestra/band music.

I've heard that Grados make you feel like your sitting in the front row at a rock concert.
Maybe I need to buy a pair to find out.

Feb 28, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #20 of 31
if you primarily listen to rock, don't get the 701, it's not going to amaze you. 701s can do wonders in a lot of other genres, rock is not one of them. I bought myself a rs2 for that precise reason. 

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #21 of 31
Rock is such a massively wide genre that I think that's being a bit unfair on the AKG[K/Q]70[1/2]. Sure, it's not going to be a great match stylistically for how most people want to hear Motorhead, Iron Maiden, AC/DC or those kind of bands, and death metal might be out - thrashy treble isn't good on these 'phones.

But if you listen to Pearl Jam and Ben Harper, as I do, the only thing to really better them might be a pair of Sennheiser HD800's, and they're way expensive. I'd get the second hand K702's or the green Q701's though, myself.

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #22 of 31

Quote:
I've heard that Grados make you feel like your sitting in the front row at a rock concert.
Maybe I need to buy a pair to find out.

even better. it's like your standing ON the stage. the sound get's quite fatiguing after a while, but for 20-30 minutes at a time, nothing beat's the Grado sound for rock, punk, and especially anything on vinyl!

-------

Staying on topic: headphone sound preference is real personal, so it depends on what you're looking for. Do you want something similar to Beats, or are you looking for something different?

I'd recommend the Sennheiser HD600. They are a great all-rounder, and sound great. If you can find them for a decent price / within your budget, consider them.

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #23 of 31

Quote:
Rock is such a massively wide genre that I think that's being a bit unfair on the AKG[K/Q]70[1/2]. Sure, it's not going to be a great match stylistically for how most people want to hear Motorhead, Iron Maiden, AC/DC or those kind of bands, and death metal might be out - thrashy treble isn't good on these 'phones.

But if you listen to Pearl Jam and Ben Harper, as I do, the only thing to really better them might be a pair of Sennheiser HD800's, and they're way expensive. I'd get the second hand K702's or the green Q701's though, myself.

I would agree with you about the 701 sounding tremendous on some of the rock sub-genres, and its lighter base impact and rather smooth and spacious presentation is not going to win everybody heart when the drums and guitars decided to hit hard. 
I would recommend them to the OP as an all rounder. 

However, "only thing to really better them is HD800" is somehow flawed. Ben Harper is beautiful on grados, it is more emotional than the 701 for a start, and the more forward mids on the rs2 presents his voice with textures when 701 replaces that with infinite smoothness. I certainly prefer his music on my rs2s, and I know people who prefer using hd650s. "Better" really depends on individual preference. 
Btw, the HD800 sounds nothing like a 701, I've heard it with my own system. 

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #24 of 31

Quote:
even better. it's like your standing ON the stage. the sound get's quite fatiguing after a while, but for 20-30 minutes at a time, nothing beat's the Grado sound for rock, punk, and especially anything on vinyl!

-------

Staying on topic: headphone sound preference is real personal, so it depends on what you're looking for. Do you want something similar to Beats, or are you looking for something different?

I'd recommend the Sennheiser HD600. They are a great all-rounder, and sound great. If you can find them for a decent price / within your budget, consider them.

Oh, yes, the 600, forgot about them all together, I take my recommendation of 701 as all rounder back, 600 seems to fit your bill a bit better. 

Feb 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #25 of 31

Quote:

-------

I thought Beats Pro were okay for Rock, but the bass was just booming, but alot more balanced then the studios. I want something more clear, I want to able to hear details, but still get that in your face sound. That sound you hear in concerts and stuff.  Since I listen too Hard Rock (Led Zeppelin, Queen) and J-Pop Rock (K-ON!) I live for that Big Lively in your face sound! yet I like too hear clear music with details such as The Beatles or  orchestra/band music! So Is Grado good for this?

My Budget is ($300)  not including headphone amp

So you guys are saying AKG 701 are not good for my needs? Whats good about them? Pros & Cons?

Feb 28, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #26 of 31
I just tried the K702 in a store last weekend, and was really underwhelmed by it. I was running it out of iPod > 2stepdance, so there should have been enough power in that setup, and throwing random lossless songs at it. Just...yeah, it wasn't engaging.
The K701's reputed to sound more or less the same as the K702. The Q701 is supposedly bassier, but that's based on what people on Head-Fi have been saying recently--store assistants I've talked to still think the Q is the same as the K. I can't verify either claim myself, so just be aware.

MrAwesome: if you don't need an amp that you can put in your pocket, consider the "Objective2" or "O2" amp. It's getting a lot of good reviews, with very few people selling theirs, and the  ones that are sold secondhand get bought up really quick. It's a DIY amp but you can buy a fully-built one from JDSLabs (in the US) or Epiphany Acoustics (UK) for about US$150.

Almost everyone is saying it is a neutral, powerful amp--does not add anything to the sound of your headphones, but provides more than enough power for both sensitive in-ears and big headphones alike. Could be a good starting point.

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #27 of 31

Quote:
thank you for the recommendations, I was going to use a FiiO E11 Headphone Amplifier when using my Ipod Classic 

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

You might want to look into higher sensitivity 32ohm headphones instead of the K701. I say try the Grado SR225i and read up on the "sock mod" and about bending the headband before it arrives, that way you'd know how to deal with it if you find them uncomfortable.

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #28 of 31
I'm surprised the M50 hasn't been recommended yet. After all, it's so good (http://www.head-fi.org/t/598067/my-1-gripe-with-head-fi-forum-members/135#post_8184828), it even solves world hunger.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #29 of 31
^ you Ninja me! 
ph34r.gif

I looked around and came up with this list that might fit my needs, here it is! I'm losing the beats headphones, I can finally see why... wait... I can finally HEAR why  
wink.gif

AKG K701 $278.59

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 $160

Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones $695.00

I'm selling my Epiphone les paul standard plus top, since I already have a Gibson Les Paul Custom. I'm also losing the Beats Pro! 

What do you think is this a good list? based off my needs 

Feb 29, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #30 of 31

Quote:
if you primarily listen to rock, don't get the 701, it's not going to amaze you. 701s can do wonders in a lot of other genres, rock is not one of them. I bought myself a rs2 for that precise reason. 

The Q 701 is great for classic rock (from the late 50's for the few quality recordings then to rock artists through the 60's and 70's and on to Springsteen, Dire Straits, the Police and few other late comers to whom we older boomers gave some love).  They have great clarity, and an excellent sound stage.  What they don't have is the bass and sub bass of the Denon AH-D2000 or even the Grado 325.  But then all mid-fi cans are a bit imperfect (or at least less than strong) in at least one respect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back