Should I return my FiiO E17k and get a Soundcard instead for music, movies, and gaming?
Dec 27, 2015 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

varzyl

Head-Fier
Hi there, guys! I'd need your help with choosing my rig upgrade ^_^

Current home setup: Desktop PC+Foobar 2000+EQ+Isone Pro+Fiio E17k Alpen 2 (new arrival)+M-Audio Q40

I'm planning to get a Philips Fidelio X2 in the next future (waiting for an EU Amazon price to get into the €250 price mark) after extensive forum search\reviews digging, trying to keep the warmish sound signature while improving the soundstage\imaging and comfort.
Planned usage: Music (EDM, rock, metal, funk), Movies, Tv series, Gaming.

I'm having second thoughts reguarding the E17k, and I still have a couple weeks to ask for an Amazon return. The reason is the 90% home usage and the absence of virtual surround.
I was thinking about getting some cheap Xonar soundcard, but the lack of coaxial out (or Fiio lack of an optical in) makes it out of question.

Question 1: I read that Xonar's Dolby Headphone is vastly superior with music, but lose when compared to CMSS-3D in games and movies. Does it still holds true? What about SBX?
Question 2: What if I went with a Sound Blaster Z, using SBX for games and music, while using Foobar Dolby Headphone plugin or Isone Pro for music? Best of both worlds? (is foobar DH plugin usable without a DH compatible sound card?)
Question 3: Fidelio X2 is a low impedence (30 ohm) can: What's the best bang for the buck combination of virtual surround+DAC+amp (something with a 4ohm max output preferred)? budget: €150-200

Thank you all for the kind attention and your time!

PS: sorry for any potential english mistake

Dec 27, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 10
Foobar2k has a Dolby headphone component, you can use that with the Channel mixer or convert stereo to four channels for some interesting 3d type effects. I believe that their is a forum somewhere on here discussing the matter.

*Edit these can be found on Foobar's site

Dec 27, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 10
  Do you use or plan on using the alpens for portable use as well?

I was planning to, with my laptop and smartphone via OTG (but like I said, 70-90% of the usage would be at home). I'm quite enjoying it, it made quite a difference in the sub bass tightness department on my Q40!

BTW I spent the last couple hours tweaking and A\Bing both Isone Pro (binaural VST) and Dolby Headphone foobar plugin (following http://www.head-fi.org/t/555263/foobar2000-dolby-headphone-config-comment-discuss ), and I ended up realizing that I don't like it that much with my FiiO on my Q40. Maybe the Q40 soundstage is too narrow to enjoy it, I don't know. So unless hardware Dolby Headphone is really better I guess I wouldn't be using it (for music, at least).

So far the strongest option is to keep my FiiO, using it both as a portable and home DAC and, later on, when my wallet is ready, spend another 80€ on a Soundblaster Z for SBX on games+movies, using the E17k as an amp only (to match impedance) at home.

Dec 27, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 10
  I was planning to, with my laptop and smartphone via OTG (but like I said, 70-90% of the usage would be at home). I'm quite enjoying it, it made quite a difference in the sub bass tightness department on my Q40!

BTW I spent the last couple hours tweaking and A\Bing both Isone Pro (binaural VST) and Dolby Headphone foobar plugin (following http://www.head-fi.org/t/555263/foobar2000-dolby-headphone-config-comment-discuss ), and I ended up realizing that I don't like it that much with my FiiO on my Q40. Maybe the Q40 soundstage is too narrow to enjoy it, I don't know. So unless hardware Dolby Headphone is really better I guess I wouldn't be using it (for music, at least).

So far the strongest option is to keep my FiiO, using it both as a portable and home DAC and, later on, when my wallet is ready, spend another 80€ on a Soundblaster Z for SBX on games+movies, using the E17k as an amp only (to match impedance) at home.

Definitely a solid plan if you want a surround experience (little experience with it), did you dabble with razer surround, great option (supposedly) if you have an external solution like yours. Although Closed backs arent exactly known for their soundstage. 

Dec 28, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 10
BTW I spent the last couple hours tweaking and A\Bing both Isone Pro (binaural VST) and Dolby Headphone foobar plugin (following http://www.head-fi.org/t/555263/foobar2000-dolby-headphone-config-comment-discuss ), and I ended up realizing that I don't like it that much with my FiiO on my Q40. Maybe the Q40 sound stage is too narrow to enjoy it, I don't know. So unless hardware Dolby Headphone is really better I guess I wouldn't be using it (for music, at least).
So far the strongest option is to keep my FiiO, using it both as a portable and home DAC and, later on, when my wallet is ready, spend another 80€ on a Sound Blaster Z for SBX on games+movies, using the E17k as an amp only (to match impedance) at home.

Rosewill RC-702 sound card, comes with a coaxial output
Here in the USA it sells for $16.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151903039395?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Ebay in Europe might sell them

I'm going to make a guess music audio will sound better without using Dolby or SBX or CMSS-3D
Just use with Foobar2000, with WASAPI component installed.

Dec 28, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #9 of 10
  It indeed has a coaxial output, but it would be little to no use without the SBX\DH chip! I though SBX and DH were Xonar\Creative tech only, am I wrong?

How about getting the Asus Xonar DX sound card and just use the E17K's amplifier feature, in combo with the DX.
Used Xonar DX's are going for around $40-$50.

If you get the Xonar DX card, you would really have no use for the E17K's digital inputs or DAC feature.
So maybe return the E17K and get the FiiO A3 (E11K) headphone amplifier, $60.

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #10 of 10
I just found out the Sound Blaster SBX can be bought as software only for $30. This might be the best solution, keeping the E17k.

http://software.store.creative.com/p/software/sound-blaster-x-fi-mb3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back