should I return HD280's & K240S to fund ER4P's?
Apr 21, 2004 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
Should I return these two sets of cans, purchased less than 30 days ago, in order to fund an Ety ER4P purchase?

I'm going to most likely be getting a smaller portable amp (something from headsave or xin, not sure yet) and figured it would be a little silly to have full size headphones and such a small amp-- kinda defeats the purpose of a small amp.

Are the 4P's worthy of jettisoning the HD280's and K240S?

Apr 21, 2004 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 9
Yes, the ER4 is better than them both
etysmile.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 9
Keep the K240s if you can, if not sell 'em both.
biggrin.gif
The Ety's sound great. I borrowed them from a friend for a couple weeks, and was -very- impressed. I'd like to grab a pair in the next month or so.

Apr 22, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 9
actually, the more I compare them, the more I prefer the HD280, both for the isolation and the more direct sound. They seem to handle bass boost on portables better than the K240S. The HD280 with bass boost sounds better than the K240S with or without boost... and this is out of an older sony pcdp...

am i going crazy? I feel like I've gotta listen to what my ears are tellin' me...

Apr 22, 2004 at 2:39 AM Post #7 of 9
Marily... err... Appar, The Ety's really are amazing earphones. Your ears don't lie! Keep the Senns! It's nice to have a set of decent headphones when using earphones as your primaries. It's not that the Ety's are fatiguing, but it's nice to just "throw on" a pair of headphones sometimes.

Cheers!

Trevor
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 12:26 PM Post #9 of 9
good question, Pedxing...

I actually started using my HD280's along with an old Sony D-131 pcdp with the bass boost on (Mega Bass instead of Digital Mega Bass-- some reason it sounds warmer than DMB), and I am realllly surprised at how good this simple setup sounds. Listened to this setup most of last night, various cds. No amp, no super-high priced phones, no fancy shmancy portable player, and "Pretty Hate Machine" never sounded better!

Seems like the HD280's handle bass boost quite well, since they're so tight in the bass department they don't seem to "fart out" on heavy bass, and this is with the volume up to 8 and higher on a medium volume cd...

Senn HD280's - $75

Sony D-131 pcdp - $12 on Ebay

Realizing that you don't have to spend a ton of money on equipment to get a realllly good sounding setup - priceless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back