Should I replace my Sansa Clip+? If so, suggestions around $50-$75?
Mar 9, 2017 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

peskypesky

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I'm still using my Sansa Clip+ and I'm happy with it....BUT it is getting a bit old, and I know technology is always advancing. 

SO, I'm looking for a small MP3 player for around $50-$75, with preferably 16gigs or more storage space.

Anyone have a suggestion for a newish player that fits these specs? 

P.S. I use Koss KSC75 headphones with PE headband mod, and have a CMOY if needed.

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 14
maybe something like this AGPtEK?

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Expandable-Headphone-Adjustable-M28/dp/B01M3PZ2JQ

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #4 of 14
Mar 9, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #5 of 14
how about the FiiO X1?

there's one on sale for $79, and it can support up to 128 gigs with sdxc card.

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #6 of 14
I've owned a few Sansas, and the Clip+ has been my favorite, too. It's the only Sansa I still have. I even mistakenly put my Clip Zip through the washer and dryer, and it came out working like a champ.

I got the itch, though, to buy another affordable DAP...just because (I have a problem, and need to stop buying entry level stuff).

I bought the Fiio M3 for $50, and figured it was a viable competitor. The M3, in my opinion, sounds a bit warmer than my beloved Clip+, and I wasn't a fan of that straight out of the box. Having experimented with the pretty limited EQ settings, and letting it burn in just a little (in case that even matters with a DAP), I've come to use the M3 quite a bit now.

I've boosted the bass and treble, and reduced some of the mids, and it gets me close to a sound I really like. The bass, for me, is actually pleasant on the M3.

Recently, I've started using it exclusively with my Fiio A3 and no EQ. This is a great pairing with my Philips SHP9500 and Koss Portapro set. I don't find myself loving most of my IEMs with the M3 and A3 together, for some reason.

Long story short: the M3's feature set is a good match for the Clip+, the sound is pleasing, and at this price I won't be devastated if it doesn't last forever. Key drawback is the lag in operation. Sometimes buttons don't respond for 1-2 seconds, and sometimes not at all. Overall, not a deal breaker for me at $50.

Best wishes, fellow Sansa owner!

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #7 of 14
I should have also mentioned that I own the Fiio X1 (first gen) as well. The X1 is hands down better than the M3 in every respect. I paid $80 for mine and the $30 difference between these two is nothing compared to the differences in their sound, UI, build, and features. If you can afford the little extra, I'd go for the X1.

Compared to the Sansa Clip+, I still like the X1 more for its clarity, openness, and design/build. The Clip+ is a far better workout companion, though.

Mar 9, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 14
  I should have also mentioned that I own the Fiio X1 (first gen) as well. The X1 is hands down better than the M3 in every respect. I paid $80 for mine and the $30 difference between these two is nothing compared to the differences in their sound, UI, build, and features. If you can afford the little extra, I'd go for the X1.

Compared to the Sansa Clip+, I still like the X1 more for its clarity, openness, and design/build. The Clip+ is a far better workout companion, though.

thanks for the input!  

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #9 of 14

I ordered an X1 1st generation for $80 and should be receiving today. :)

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #10 of 14
I hope you enjoy it! I'm looking at mine on my desk right now. It took me a while to warm up to it, and part of that was caving in and finally playing with the EQ (a lot). For me, I had to drop some of the mids, and boost the bass to match it with my IEMs. I'm loving it now, though. I use it periodically with my Fiio A3 (via line out), and they're a great pair.

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #11 of 14
Oh, and one other thing. I sent back my M3. The little bugs in the OS finally got to me (laggy in general, and sometimes the buttons were unresponsive altogether). More than happy with my X1 as a daily driver, and I'm considering a big move upward into the X5III someday soon.

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #12 of 14
I just received my X1 1st generation.

First impression, after having used a Clip+ for several years: "Man this thing is big and heavy!".

Three times the size of the Clip+, and maybe 5 times heavier....

BUT, it definitely looks classy and feels sturdy and well-made. 

I'm really looking forward to hearing this DAP when it's charged, and I get home and can load some music onto a card.

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #13 of 14

A couple quirks I've learned about in the few months I've owned my X1. I haven't seen others mention any of this, so hope it helps.

1. Sometimes the unit will play while charging. This wouldn't bother me, except a few times I unplugged it after the charge was full and didn't realize it was playing (since I didn't have headphones plugged into it). Later when I went to use it, I realized most of the charge was gone.
  2. Despite having the auto shutoff enabled, sometimes the unit just doesn't power off by itself when it should. There are times (like twice today) when I've come back to my desk after leaving it paused for 20+ minutes and it's still on. Other times it shuts off automatically as it should.
  3. While there's only one custom EQ option, you can edit the other existing EQ presets if you want. They'll save in the edited position which is great; it's like having multiple custom EQ settings. If you ever want to change them back to the factory EQ presets, you can hold down the menu button and it will ask you if you want to reset that EQ to original.
  4. If you set the output to line out (as opposed to headphone out), you have to tap the main select button every time you turn on the device in order to allow music playback. That button tap (it'll be obvious due to a message on the screen) is there to protect you from accidentally playing line-out while wearing headphones. It might be kind of annoying at times, but it's saved my hearing more than once.

Just a few things to be aware of. Despite its quirks, I still love the little (or not so little) fella!

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #14 of 14

A couple quirks I've learned about in the few months I've owned my X1. I haven't seen others mention any of this, so hope it helps.

1. Sometimes the unit will play while charging. This wouldn't bother me, except a few times I unplugged it after the charge was full and didn't realize it was playing (since I didn't have headphones plugged into it). Later when I went to use it, I realized most of the charge was gone.
  2. Despite having the auto shutoff enabled, sometimes the unit just doesn't power off by itself when it should. There are times (like twice today) when I've come back to my desk after leaving it paused for 20+ minutes and it's still on. Other times it shuts off automatically as it should.
  3. While there's only one custom EQ option, you can edit the other existing EQ presets if you want. They'll save in the edited position which is great; it's like having multiple custom EQ settings. If you ever want to change them back to the factory EQ presets, you can hold down the menu button and it will ask you if you want to reset that EQ to original.
  4. If you set the output to line out (as opposed to headphone out), you have to tap the main select button every time you turn on the device in order to allow music playback. That button tap (it'll be obvious due to a message on the screen) is there to protect you from accidentally playing line-out while wearing headphones. It might be kind of annoying at times, but it's saved my hearing more than once.

Just a few things to be aware of. Despite its quirks, I still love the little (or not so little) fella!

Thanks for the tips. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back