Should I repair my 5th gen 250GB Ipod or get a Fiio x1 ?
Sep 13, 2015 at 9:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Arkham00

New Head-Fier
Hi, my loyal Ipod broke, after some tests, I think I need to replace the logic board. It seems that I can still find it for about 50/60 euros. Is it a good idea ? The aftermarket logic boards provide the same quality or they mount fake dac ?

I've been reading about the fiio players, and I really dig into it. It seems that I would take a step forward in sound quality, but on the other hand I love the fact that the Ipod is a well established product, completely customisable (sw with rockbox and hw with all the aftermarket products).
For the fiio I couldn't even find a replacement battery, so I'll have to change it in one year or two I suppose...
And what about the firmware is it solid and well maintained ? How is it compared to rockbox ? (The it offer seems very limited for instance, are the frequencies of the 7 bands customisable ?)

The other big plus concerning my ipod was the 250GB disk I put in it, but since my music collection grew, I can't fit it anymore, so at this point 64/128 or 250 is pointless, I'll have to change my music from time to time.

So what do you suggest me ? try to sell the Ipod as it is or at least the 250GB HD and buy a fiio X1 or try to repair my ipod ?

Thank you!

Sep 13, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #2 of 8
Since storage space is the biggest dilemma you have, I'd say that you should fix your 5th gen 250GB iPod, then backup all your music and use the iPod until it dies at another time. At that point, you will definitely be able to get something better than the Fiio X1.

Even if you already backed up all your music, I would fix the iPod, then get better data storage.

Sep 13, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #3 of 8
Since storage space is the biggest dilemma you have, I'd say that you should fix your 5th gen 250GB iPod, then backup all your music and use the iPod until it dies at another time. At that point, you will definitely be able to get something better than the Fiio X1.

Even if you already backed up all your music, I would fix the iPod, then get better data storage.

I'm sorry if I explained badly, English is not my language. The storage space is not my dilemma anymore, since my collection is now bigger than 250 GB, so I can't fit it completely in my Ipod anymore. So 64GB or 250 GB is not a big deal since from time to time I have to change my music. Plus I have a double backup of my music, so no problem.

Sep 13, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #5 of 8
Well, the from this chart:

fiio.net:8000/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40278

The Fiio X3 2nd gen I looks best.

If the OP is in the US, the Fiio X5 1st gen is on special at SonicElectronix right now for $199 after coupon: http://www.head-fi.org/t/761701/hottest-sonic-electronix-deals-and-promotions/60#post_11902591. Better deal than the X3 2nd gen, IMO

Sep 13, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #6 of 8
Thank you for your answers, but I think I don't need all the features of the X3/X5, plus they are too expensive, I'm planning also to change my IEMs, so I don't want to spend more than 100 euros for the DAP.
My concern is really the ipod versus the X1

Sep 13, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #7 of 8
Then probably the best place to research and ask your questions about the X1 is in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/691332/the-all-new-fiio-x1-192k-24b-pcm5142-dac-and-100mw-output-with-lo-and-inline-remote.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back