Should I rent my house out for the Inauguration?
Nov 18, 2008 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TheRobbStory

Banned
I live in a 2br/2bath house about a mile from The White House.

Current projections put 4 million people on the National mall for Obama's inauguration. I'm seeing ads on DC craigslist for people renting their houses for $5k that week. Hotels in the area are completely sold out.

What's a good way to go about this? Craigslist? eBay? is this even legal? My roomate and I plan to crash at friends' houses or in our offices. What's a good price to ask? Is it too soon to advertise now, or could we catch a higher rate closer to the event. Has anyone done this before?

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #7 of 10
People do it all the time here in New Orleans for Mardi Gras.

Get all of your personal and valuable stuff out, buy a set of throw away sheets (Generally, when people are on vacation, they bang like hippie rabbits), and charge whatever you can get.

Nov 19, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #9 of 10
If you are renting then check the contract to see if it allow a sub lease. It is likely that it is not allow if it is a short term lease already.

If you do follow through despite the clause in the contract and your landlord finds out then he has every right to evict you from the property and charge you for any damages caused by the other tenants.

Nov 19, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 10
I don't see why not, if you own the house that is.
~$5,000 for a week is nice money, and if you use your mind it should be quite safe as well.

Go for it..
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back