Should I re-buy the V-Moda M100s or get Ultrasone Pro 900s instead? (Primarily for edm and hip hop)
Dec 8, 2013 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

HifiPenguin

New Head-Fier
Hello, well my beloved M100s were stolen this week out of my backpack, so I am going to buy another set of headphones if I am unable to retrieve  them from whoever took them.

I loved the M100s because although many can claim that they are a bit overpriced for the sound, their unique appearance, and amazing build quality certainly  did justify the price imo. They also isolated sound very well, which was great, because I jammed out in my classes. 
dt880smile.png

Like the title says, I primarily will be suing these headphones for edm as well as hip hop. Now I have heard great things about the Ultrasone Pro 900s. How would these compare to the M100s (especially in the sound department)? Budget is about $450.00. 

Other recommendations are more than welcome. Also a day prior to the kidnapping of my M100s, I ordered the XL pads and the boom mic as well, which is kind of a reason that I have been considering rebuying the M100s in a different colorway. However, sound is more important than anything. Headphones can be opened or closed, but if they are closed (with good isolation too), then that is great too so I can use them besides when I am home. 

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 6
Heya,

The PRO900 is awful, unless you really like super spiked treble that is piercing and really hot and tizzy. It's certainly a bass canon with gobs of mid-bass, but it's not that impressive when it comes to just sub-bass. It's mids are lost completely and it's treble just is completely out of control. Otherwise, beautiful headphone, really good build quality and comfortable. When I first bought mine, I wanted to like it, but just couldn't. It's just not what a headphone that costs that much should be like at all. It reminded me heavily of cheaper headphones that just made for booming bass and nothing else. The rest of their efforts went into the build. But the absolute horrible treble and super recessed mids are killing factor of this otherwise good headphone.

I would just get the M100 again frankly.

Very best,

Dec 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #4 of 6
I'm not certain if their Immortal Life program covers theft, but there's a good chance you can get 50% off a new pair of M100s if you contact VMODA's customer support, so I'd definitely recommend trying that before making a decision.

PS: I picked up the a pair of M100s a few days ago and was a bit disappointed with the sound as well, but I found that the $100 Audioquest Dragonfly pairs quite well with it and is great if you want a portable solution for a laptop.

Dec 8, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 6
If cost is an issue for you I would recommend the V-MODA Crossfade LP's.  For edm and hip-hop they fall just barely shy of the M-100's but cost less than a third of the price [on Amazon US].  I know you said you have a high budget, but who doesn't like to spend less when there is the option?  V-MODA may put more emphasis on quality control for the M-100's, but I have a pair of LP's and am thrilled with the build quality and sound in nearly all genres.  They are also nearly visually identical, so you keep the style element that you said you like.

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #6 of 6
  If cost is an issue for you I would recommend the V-MODA Crossfade LP's.  For edm and hip-hop they fall just barely shy of the M-100's but cost less than a third of the price [on Amazon US].  I know you said you have a high budget, but who doesn't like to spend less when there is the option?  V-MODA may put more emphasis on quality control for the M-100's, but I have a pair of LP's and am thrilled with the build quality and sound in nearly all genres.  They are also nearly visually identical, so you keep the style element that you said you like.

If I would have known this yesterday... Amazon deal of the Day LP's for 69.99 (yesterday).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back