Should I pull the trigger on the HD 650's for $330?
Apr 26, 2011 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Willanhanyard

New Head-Fier
My friend got some HD 650's for his birthday, but he already has some headphones that he really likes (I don't know what they are), so he wants to sell them. I asked him how much he wanted for them, and he said $330. I will be using these with my Asus Xonar Stx sound card from my computer. I listen to a good amount of jazz, and big band type music. I also listen to a good amount of rap/hip hop, a little classical (every once in a while), and then some alternative. Should I pull the trigger? Also, I currently have a pair of HD 555s, do you think I will see a big improvement? Thank you.

Apr 26, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #2 of 17
I think this one is going to be up to you - whether you feel up for springing the $330. The HD650 is a widely-praised headphone that you will probably love given your existing proclivity towards the Sennheiser house sound. It's a headphone that can probably stay with you for a long time, and that you can build a higher-end system around should you so choose. 

Ideally, you could borrow it from him for a week and make the decision for yourself based on what you hear with your ears, in your system.

Apr 26, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #3 of 17
I'd get them for sure. You'll likely not get all they are capable of without a more robust amp but they'll be an upgrade for you. At that price you'll almost certainly be able to get your money back out of them provided you keep them in minty condition. If you do get them, be sure you give them a good long evaluation (over a few weeks) before making your final judgement. In my experience it takes a while to get the full measure of a headphone. I've had cans that I thought were great then two weeks later I couldn't stand. And conversely I've had phones (my HD580s) that didn't exactly wow at first but have become my most loved headphones.

Apr 26, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 17
Yes, they will be a HUGE improvement. As long as the STX drives them well and it should. Not 100% sure though.

JR.com has them for $329 if you call them and get lucky. That's what I got mine for.

One idea is to ask if he will let you try them for a few days or a week first. Or just try them at his house with an amp if he has one.

I think they're not for everyone and some won't like them..just like the K702.

I'd suggest verifying that they're the silver screened version first. If they were purchased new in the last year then they probably are.

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #8 of 17
STX should be plenty to drive them since it has a built in headphone amp. It can even drive 600 ohm headphones I've read.
I imagine a desktop amp is always better though. Even the E9 can drive them quite well, but doesn't add anything to them or color the sound as much as others amp, but that's not always a negative!

Apr 27, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
I'm just going by amazon's price (which is $400) because I buy a lot of my headphones from them. Do you think that I could get something better for $300?

Better? No. Different? Yes.

They're a warmer sounding headphone that require good amping to bring them close to their price point.

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #13 of 17
Without proper amp, the HD650 will not sound as good as when they are amped. $330 is a goop price, try bargaining more to $300. For a new HD650, unopened box, $300 is a very good deal.

Apr 27, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #15 of 17
I'm brand new to this whole scene and was brought into it through an Impulse buy of the HD650's @$350.  All I can say is wow, and I'm only driving them off of a Creative X-Fi Titanium at the moment(yes, I know it can't drive them very well).  My NuForce Icon HD gets here tomorrow and I cannot wait until I can get the full potential out of these bad boys.  I don't think you'll be disappointed and $330 is a damn good price as it is. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back