Should I pick ESW10JPN or Ultrasone PRO 900?
Jan 9, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #16 of 31
Had some thought, and I really think an ESW10 does not belong in a gym, all those muscles and weights, it just does not feel right...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #17 of 31
Yeah, sweating on those lambskin pads probably isn't a good idea for the long-term usage, especially since it seems that extra pads for ESW10JPNs are in limited supply (although I read that you can use ESW9 pads, too.)

Also, the thought of bumping those lovely wooden cups into the barbells when doing shoulder presses would give me nightmares...

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be nice if people would state if they ever heard the a fully burned-in Pro900 before the state their full opinions on them. I'm gonna write a full review on the Pro900 and the modded Pro900 tommorow. Cheers

That will be awesome my friend because Im about to pull my trigger on a pro900. Let's see if you gonna save it or push it ^ ^

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostmusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, sweating on those lambskin pads probably isn't a good idea for the long-term usage, especially since it seems that extra pads for ESW10JPNs are in limited supply (although I read that you can use ESW9 pads, too.)

Also, the thought of bumping those lovely wooden cups into the barbells when doing shoulder presses would give me nightmares...

These are not important for me my friends, I am only talking of the sound here... Both headphones are expensive looking, and of the similar price, I wouldn't wanna ruin any of them.
But I am worrying about the sound to pump weights in the gym, don't really mind about the pad or anything physical...

Jan 10, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #24 of 31
I have never heard either of these headphones so obviously, I won't comment on their sound. My post is more about practicality. First, I own the Pro 750 and very much enjoy it's sound. To my understanding, the Pro 900 and the Pro 750 are the same size. I can not imagine taking the Pro 750 to the gym. These are expensive headphones. They are not as expensive as some other ones but they are expensive headphones, none the less. People steal things at gyms. At some point you may take them off, set them on the floor to deal with some weights or something and the next thing you know, your headphones are gone. I wouldn't take them to the gym.
Second, because of the size of these headphones, I could totally imagine your workouts being affected adversely while you are wearing them. I have never thought of the Pro 750 as a portable or as a "workout" type of headphone. IMO, you need something smaller and less expensive.
I know with many people today it is unthinkable to exercise or even just walk around with out the "separate reality" that is provided by headphones. But, I will go against that way of thinking here and suggest you might want to try working out without headphones. You might be surprised how much you would enjoy the sights and sounds around you not to mention the possibility of involving yourself in an interesting conversation while you are riding the stationary bicycle or some other type of exercise machine. You might even make some new friends because you would not be headphone "isolated". Also, it is my understanding that focusing on your muscles while lifting weights causes a better build as compared to focusing on music provided by headphones.

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use ibuds.

Yo wats up my friend! Haven't seen you around for a while man...Happy New Year... come on, I already made up my mind...its either one or the other...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about $79 (@ Guitar Center) SCL4's?

(I personally use my PK2's)

Don't want to sweat on Westone 3's.

Agree with others - ESW10 & Pro900 don't seem suitable for Gym / workouts.

PS: Only in America!
Attachment 12607

What the hell is wrong with sweats guys, and by the way I don't sweat that much and I have a habit of constantly clean my sweats...

As for the photo...I think they are made for disability people...maybe...but seems some lazy asses are also using them...only in AMerica X1

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #26 of 31
My friend...it might be surprising, but none of the people who work with me in the gym know the German Brand Ultrosone... PLUS they think my ESW9 cost 80 bucks, Quoted "they cant be more expensive than Bose on ear right?" just wanna hit their face...
Anyways...I think Pro900 can be portable, they seem quite small...even smaller than the HFI line...I heard one of my friends use Hfi780 to work out...so yeah...and I see many people wear Dr.DRE Monster to work out too...look real dumb, but they are happy with it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never heard either of these headphones so obviously, I won't comment on their sound. My post is more about practicality. First, I own the Pro 750 and very much enjoy it's sound. To my understanding, the Pro 900 and the Pro 750 are the same size. I can not imagine taking the Pro 750 to the gym. These are expensive headphones. They are not as expensive as some other ones but they are expensive headphones, none the less. People steal things at gyms. At some point you may take them off, set them on the floor to deal with some weights or something and the next thing you know, your headphones are gone. I wouldn't take them to the gym.
Second, because of the size of these headphones, I could totally imagine your workouts being affected adversely while you are wearing them. I have never thought of the Pro 750 as a portable or as a "workout" type of headphone. IMO, you need something smaller and less expensive.
I know with many people today it is unthinkable to exercise or even just walk around with out the "separate reality" that is provided by headphones. But, I will go against that way of thinking here and suggest you might want to try working out without headphones. You might be surprised how much you would enjoy the sights and sounds around you not to mention the possibility of involving yourself in an interesting conversation while you are riding the stationary bicycle or some other type of exercise machine. You might even make some new friends because you would not be headphone "isolated". Also, it is my understanding that focusing on your muscles while lifting weights causes a better build as compared to focusing on music provided by headphones.

Jan 10, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My friend...it might be surprising, but none of the people who work with me in the gym know the German Brand Ultrosone... PLUS they think my ESW9 cost 80 bucks, Quoted "they cant be more expensive than Bose on ear right?" just wanna hit their face...
Anyways...I think Pro900 can be portable, they seem quite small...even smaller than the HFI line...I heard one of my friends use Hfi780 to work out...so yeah...and I see many people wear Dr.DRE Monster to work out too...look real dumb, but they are happy with it...

The HFI 780 is smaller than the Pro 750 and the Pro 900 is the same size as the Pro 750, to my understanding.
That's good, I think. Keep them thinking you wear cheap headphones. They will be less likely to steal them. Maybe not.

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #29 of 31
It would get awfully hot though.

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #30 of 31
Hmm, sounds like you may have slightly conflicted needs. First let me say that I've never heard the Pro 900s so I won't comment on those.

For the gym I would say IEMs are the only way to go. I use my ER6i for exercising (when being able to hear isn't a concern, ie do not use while cycling). They don't get in the way, they stay in (as opposed to iBuds) and most importantly if they get screwed up I'm not out a whole lot of money. Now if you want phones with a huge sound stage I don't know if you are going to get it without going high up the IEM food chain (which as I've read and never heard, UE10, UE11, Weston 3, Shure SE530). Personally I wouldn't drop money on a pair of ESW10 and wear them to the gym (sweat in the pads and headband, increased potential to scratch the wood, etc.) I think they could also get in the way as well. You could wear your ESW9s at the gym to get an idea if this is a factor.

All that being said, I highly recommend the ESW10, just not for the gym
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back