Should I need an amp for the Sennheiser's HD 25-1 II for ipod use?
Aug 23, 2011 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

joker190

New Head-Fier
Sorry for the repost but I didn't get the answer I was expecting, I just ordered the HD 25-1 II  
biggrin.gif

But my question is: Can an ipod nano 5th generation runs those phones without an amp? or have I to buy the fiio e5 to run the phones? (say yes only if is really necessary to buy it)

Aug 23, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 10
No.

Aug 23, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:

This has been said many times.

HD25-1 does not demand/require/need/etc. an amplifier.  If you want to amp it, that is up to you.
Don't expect much from an E5.  XD

Aug 23, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 10
Even though the impedance is at 70 Ohms the sensitivity is at 120dB/V so your portable devices will drive them quite nicely.  Looking at the curves these are really nice cans.  They look like an on-ear step up from the ATH-M50's to me.

I would not hesitate to buy these.

Let us know how you like them and post a short review.

Aug 23, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #7 of 10

Those are my first hi-fi headphones, but I tried some others, I'll surely write a little review of them when I tried them :)

I read I need to make some "burn time" to get the best sound from them but I don't know what that means

Aug 23, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #8 of 10
Headphones sound even better after they have had some hours of use.  HD25-1 hardly needs any, so I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

Quote:
I find my Nano 6th gen has a hard time powering any of my headphones (HD25-1, M50, SRH440). It's only "loud" at max volume.

Something's wrong with your ipod or your headphones as HD25 is almost as sensitive as my IEMs.

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
I find my Nano 6th gen has a hard time powering any of my headphones (HD25-1, M50, SRH440). It's only "loud" at max volume.

I did a quick test with my iPod nano driving my ATH-M50's and sure enough full volume is needed to get just above my preferred listening level.  I did some digging and found that the "Volume Limit" was set.  Adjusting this made ATH-M50's able to be driven to ear blistering levels.  Try checking for your volume limit.  It is in the Settings menu.

After testing that and listening to my M50's via nano I can guarantee that joker190's HD25-1's will sound awesome!

Aug 24, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:

I did a quick test with my iPod nano driving my ATH-M50's and sure enough full volume is needed to get just above my preferred listening level.  I did some digging and found that the "Volume Limit" was set.  Adjusting this made ATH-M50's able to be driven to ear blistering levels.  Try checking for your volume limit.  It is in the Settings menu.

After testing that and listening to my M50's via nano I can guarantee that joker190's HD25-1's will sound awesome!

Nice, I'll take a look at that in a bit.

I hate that apple never releases the power output on their devices or make them readily available to consumers...
My other iPod/iPhone powers all my headphones fine though.  I was just thinking that since the Nano is so tiny that its power output must be less thus explaining why they couldn't power my headphones as well as it's bigger brothers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back