Should I Mod my Northstar DAC?
Mar 22, 2007 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Musiq

New Head-Fier
Just got a new Northstar 192 Dac and want to build a Mac-sourced system.

1. Do I need an OffRamp Northstar I2S, or are there alternatives?

2. Do I need to get the DAC modded? If I do, what happens to the warranty?

3. I have a G5 Quad and a PowerBook, but it seems that it's best to have a dedicated Mac running iTunes only. If the speed of the Mac is not important, but the amount of RAM is, am I correct in assuming that an inexpensive desktop, maybe even a G4, with maxed-out RAM and a large external HD is a good idea? How much RAM is needed, how much is unnecessary overkill?

confused.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Musiq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got a new Northstar 192 Dac and want to build a Mac-sourced system.

1. Do I need an OffRamp Northstar I2S, or are there alternatives?

2. Do I need to get the DAC modded? If I do, what happens to the warranty?

3. I have a G5 Quad and a PowerBook, but it seems that it's best to have a dedicated Mac running iTunes only. If the speed of the Mac is not important, but the amount of RAM is, am I correct in assuming that an inexpensive desktop, maybe even a G4, with maxed-out RAM and a large external HD is a good idea? How much RAM is needed, how much is unnecessary overkill?

confused.gif

1) not that I'm aware of

2) IMO, yes. Even some I2S mods alone make huge difference

3) MAC is much better than PC for audio streaming in eliminating ticks. You can evidently even do real work at the same time and surf on the web. More RAM is always better, but 1GByte should be sufficient.

Steve N.

Mar 22, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for your prompt input. I've read your paper at http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue22/nugent.htm,and have been studying your web site for weeks. I am still digesting it all.

So, if I understand you correctly, ANY Mac will do equally well in the role of player/server, provided it has at least a gig of RAM. Am I correct?

Also, unlike I have believed, I can use a Mac with other apps running (e.g. my G5 with 8 Gigs Ram, running Photoshop and other apps) without experiencing a degradation of sound?

Am I correct that upsampled output from the Mac will pass through to the Northstar with an Offramp I2S, but not with the OffRamp WiFi?

Also...if you modify my Northstar, will it void the warranty?
confused.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 7
Back in April 2006 you said in a post: "No iTunes sends through whatever you give it unless you specify upsampling, usually on a MAC with the MIDI settings. Does not sound very good though compared to Foobar2000 upsampling. "

Could you explain this a bit further? 'Preciate it!

Mar 22, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Thanks for your prompt input. I've read your paper at http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue22/nugent.htm,and have been studying your web site for weeks. I am still digesting it all.

So, if I understand you correctly, ANY Mac will do equally well in the role of player/server, provided it has at least a gig of RAM. Am I correct?:

I would use a more recent one, at least a G4.

Quote:

Also, unlike I have believed, I can use a Mac with other apps running (e.g. my G5 with 8 Gigs Ram, running Photoshop and other apps) without experiencing a degradation of sound?:

Yes, unless it is really CPU intensive.

Quote:

Am I correct that upsampled output from the Mac will pass through to the Northstar with an Offramp I2S, but not with the OffRamp WiFi?:

Correct. The Off-Ramp Wi-Fi does not support 24/96.

Quote:

Also...if you modify my Northstar, will it void the warranty?
confused.gif

I would say yes. I would warranty the mods and be available to repair anything non-warranty.

Steve N.

Mar 22, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Back in April 2006 you said in a post: "No iTunes sends through whatever you give it unless you specify upsampling, usually on a MAC with the MIDI settings. Does not sound very good though compared to Foobar2000 upsampling. "

Could you explain this a bit further? 'Preciate it!

You can upsample on MAC, but customer feedback is that it does not sound better than no upsampling. The algorithm is different that that for PC. Most MAC users do not upsample.

Steve N.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back